Friday, November 23, 2018

Thanksgiving Surprise

On my morning walk I saw Steph; her son surprised her for Thanksgiving! He was originally supposed to go to Europe for work but that got cancelled at the last minute and he was then assigned to a project in Asia; so he stopped in for Thanksgiving on the way there! She was very happy to have him back for the holiday and a couple days after it. The house being remodeled on Matsonia is coming along. WARNING: I found a freshly squashed bird this morning; photos at the end of this post.
At the beginning of my morning walk.
On Sierra, looking easterly.
It looks like they are changing the doorway into a regular wall.

As usual, when I got to his room Dad was asleep in bed with breakfast in front of him. He had not touched any of the solids but finished about half of the supplements.

I saw Tui during my mid-morning walk; they are on Sierra in the portion just uphill of the intersection with Matsonia to the lower parking lot entrance for Maunalani. I found another freshly squashed bird on this walk; photos also at the end of the post. I also saw a truck parked in front of the house with the suspect fern; as I got closer I could tell that the truck was running so I thought I would finally get a chance to meet the suspect fern's owner. Not. It was Dan in the Maunalani pickup truck; he had just pulled over to take a phone call. Which made sense; if it was the fern owner he/she would have stayed parked in the driveway to take the call. Oh, well.


Lunch today was Thai chicken with basil, Brown rice, Stir fry vegetable mix, Tossed salad, Coconut cake, and Cream of Broccoli soup. There was no soup on my tray but there was a salad! There was no romaine, it looked to be all Manoa lettuce. I like their Thai chicken with basil; I think I should try to recreate that at home, we have fresh basil and coconut milk. Dad ate all his peanut butter & jelly sandwich and all his Plus, about half his Breeze, & none of the coconut cake

Mmmm! Peanut butter & jelly! All gone!

The afternoon walk tends to be the hottest walk of the day; it was today. I saw a flower that looks like a crocus but on a longer stalk with leaves that are round in cross-section like a rush. I am wondering if this is the same yellow flower that grows in the lawn and parking strip of a house in one of the curves.


Unknown flower, the leaves are round in cross-section.
Close-up of the flower.

They are beginning to put up Christmas decorations  at Maunalani. There is a bare tree in the 2nd floor lobby by the nurses station; Party Pueo was checking it out.


As I suspected, I did not lose any weight over the last week; I gained 1.8 pounds! I think the majority of it was due to Thanksgiving overindulgence. I am now back up to 113.5 pounds and about 20.7% body fat. This is basically where I was at on November 4th, right after I returned from the Big Island, 2&1/2 weeks ago. Two steps forward, one step back; oh, well.

The Roommates & I have been discussing going to the Hawai'i Cat Cafe while Kai is here. I checked their website; they have times just for sitting with the cats or you can do Cats Against Humanity Game Night on Saturdays or Cat Yoga on Sunday mornings. It's less than a mile from the house and about 13 minutes on foot. I signed us up for Cats Against Humanity Game Night tomorrow night. Tani & Nikki will be joining us.

I am wondering if I have hit a fibro wall; I was very tired today and took a really deep nap after my morning walk & after lunch. This is not normal; usually I only do the after lunch nap, which is something I have been doing since it was prescribed for me about 12 years ago. I also felt like doing a nap after my mid-morning walk but lunch arrived so I was unable to nap. Yesterday I did more walking than I have been, 5.62 miles; according to my schedule I should be at 5.1 miles/day this week but have only been averaging 4.66 miles. But I also stayed up much later last night (just past midnight instead of 10:45 pm).

Kai & I went for a walk after dinner; it was more of a saunter. The first quarter or so was at my 3.0 mph pace, which was too fast for Kai; his chest got tight so we slowed it down. The night walk was 0.86 miles so I ended up doing 5.78 miles today. I'll go to bed earlier & see how I feel tomorrow; I hope its not a fibro wall.


When we were about a block from home, I kicked something. I stopped & used the flashlight app on my phone & found it was a couple of mushrooms. A wider search turned up a bunch of mushrooms; I thought they might be shaggy manes (Coprinus comatus) but Mushrooms of Hawai'i says shaggy manes aren't found here. I am wondering if they are very young Chlorophytum molybdites; I'll have to keep an eye on the remaining mushrooms and do some spore prints.



WARNING: Flattened fauna photos at the end of this paragraph! I found a freshly squashed Zebra Dove (Geopelia striata) this morning near the same spot I found the recently squashed Java sparrow. Birds seem to congregate in this area just below the field at the park and apparently it is a perilous place for birds. Today I took a photo each time I walked past to show the progression through out the day as they turned in to road jerky. I also found a freshly squashed Zebra Dove on Lurline one house down from Jimmy's house during my mid-morning walk. By what I can see of their coloration, both of these appear to be juvenile doves; which may be why they got hit, they weren't sure what to do as the big noisy thing was approaching, then it was too late. I have been seeing more newly fledged juveniles recently. HERE COME THE PHOTOS! You've been warned!
Bird by park, 7:26 a.m.
Bird by park, 10:27 a.m.
Bird by park, 3:14 p.m.
Bird on Lurline, 10:43 a.m.
Bird on Lurline, 3:29 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment