Saturday, November 3, 2018

Leaving Moku o Keawe

Since its still hurricane season I moved things away from the windows again and put things on top of the plastic covering the beds to keep them from flying off in case a window gets broken. I have seen ads for impact-resistant windows by PGT Custom Windows + Doors; they fire a 2"x4" at the window & it just bounces off. I have checked their website and am considering upgrading the existing windows instead of adding shutters. The hurricane shutters would have to be attached to the single walls, some of which are questionable due to the termite damage. Changing to impact-resistant windows would also make breaking and entering through a window much more difficult. Plus they're always working; no one has to come and put them up or take them down.
Treadmill & bike now under wraps.
Kitchen table all covered. This is more to keep termite frass & gecko poop off the table than for hurricanes.
Things moved away from window and plastic secured in front bedroom.
My bed is covered and the solar light is charging.
Close-up of the charging panel on the back of the LED light piece.
Everything secured in the back bedroom.

As I was cleaning up this morning I found a house cricket in the bathroom. It's a female so it doesn't make chirping noises; I would have to wait for it to have babies, then have a male baby stay & mature in the house to hear it chirping.
House Cricket (Acheta domestica).

I forgot to mention that TSA checked my bag on the way here; but they didn't leave the note that said they had checked it. I could tell because some things that were in the pocket had been removed and placed on top of the hand carry bag that I pack just in case I overload my suitcase. Which I did on this return trip by 1 pound; the nice lady at the gate let it pass. The minimal upper body exercises I am doing are apparently making a difference; I was hauling the suitcase up stairs one-handed & didn't feel like it was that heavy. It felt more like 40 pounds.

When I returned from the dump run, a Gray Francolin ran from the front lawn to the edge near the road as I pulled in under the puakenikeni. Then it stood still, trying to blend in; but I could clearly see it standing there. It only moved away when I opened the door and started to step out; it walked quickly to the neighbor's house.
Gray Francolin (Francolinus pondicerianus).

I didn't have enough time to stop to say Good Bye to Uncle Kazu or Lem; the things I needed to do took longer than I anticipated. I also didn't get to sand the bottom edge of the spice cabinet doors so that they would slide easier and also be removable.

I did pack all the food carry-on in 2 plastic grocery bags; that made it easier at the TSA check point. I also packed the Meyer lemons in a plastic jar so they wouldn't get squashed. I gave them to Wakana so she can make more lemonade for breakfast.

Before I got here I had thought about bringing back some of my watercolor supplies. But that plan went out the window once I got here; just too much to do and not enough time. Besides, I'm not really sure where things are since the app I was using to keep track of what was in my boxes was deleted by a Verizon tech that was working on my phone; he failed to ask me before he started deleting things! >:(  I'll put 'look for art supplies'  on the list for the next trip, which might be in late January for more solar PV coordination.

I wrote most of this blog while I waited at the gate. There was a nice breeze blowing through the waiting area so it was pleasant. The only unpleasant moment was when 4 military jets did a fly by; they were about 50 feet above the runway when they went by. I IMed Kai; he said it was either the F-22 or the F-35. I think they might have been F-22 Raptors based on photos that came up when I Googled. (I was too annoyed to get a photo.)


Curtis picked me up from the airport; we went back to his house for dinner with Aunty Daisy, Scott, & Wakana; Aunty Judy was there also. I brought back Pineapple Shortbread cookies from Big Island Candies as my contribution to the meal.

Another Holy's Bakery apple pie for dessert! This is also what I had for breakfast today. Very hippo!
L to R: Aunty Judy, Lori, Aunty Daisy, Wakana, Scott, & Curtis.
L to R: Wakana, Aunty Daisy, Lori, & Salty.

Late last night The Potential Most Favorite Roommate called; Shiro was not able to get his hind legs under himself & stand up. We thought he might have had a stroke. But this morning The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes texted that Shiro was walking around okay. It might be that his anemia made him so weak he wasn't able to stand.


Happy Birthday to Sue, Dave, & Adam!

No comments:

Post a Comment