Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Rude Awakening

I got up this morning about 5:30 when Shiro stepped on me to check if his food bowl was on the bedside table where I keep my old laptop (the one with the Harry Dresden audiobooks). It wasn't, so I went to get it for him; he ate some of it, then went to lie down. I removed his dish & turned back to see him squatting! As in 'squatting to pee'! I grabbed a towel from the pile of dirty towels from Kohala & mopped up as much as I could, then threw the sheets & bedspread into the washer. Shiro's half of the bed is now covered with puppy pee pads. When 2 of our other cats became very ill they also peed in inappropriate places; I think the confusion is similar to what humans experience when they have severe illnesses.


Consequently I left the house about 15 minutes earlier than usual; I was too awake to go back to sleep even for a 15 minute snooze. Barbara, Lori's mom, was standing at the bus stop on Sierra so I gave her a ride up to Maunalani. I've been able to do that about a handful of times; it saves her from having to walk up the hill from the bus stop with all the things she brings for Lori during the day.

So my morning walk was a little earlier, too; I saw LaVie as I was driving up and Kavita as I was walking. Since I was earlier, the sun was still behind the hillside for most of my walk so it was cooler than usual and more pleasant. Perhaps I should get up earlier to take advantage of this!


Dad was in bed with his breakfast in front of him; sleeping. There was a cup of coffee on the table, but when he was awake it didn't seem to register with him what it was. He used to drink coffee every morning with breakfast but has not continued that here.

During my mid-morning walk I didn't bother trying to see whether Maunalani Circle would be clear enough for me to walk by; I had seen a lot of the metal plates in the road covering the ditches during my morning walk. I decided to just complete the other portions of the walk and add the circle to my afternoon walk since they would be either closing up or close to closing up. I saw Wendy up by the park during the 1st part of my walk & down on Lurline during the 2nd part of my walk.


I have been trying to figure out what a number of large hedges around here are made of; I have been thinking it was mock orange (Murraya paniculata). I am having problems with the identification because the leaves look different on these larger shrubs; today I saw a hedge that was flowering. The flowers smell like mock orange but don't quite look like them. I will have to to take close-up photos of the flowers and leaves; then figure it out. It's probably one of the other plants called 'mock orange', that's why its important to know the scientific name of things.
 

Lunch today was Pork Tofu, Steamed rice, Peas & carrots, Garden salad, Macaroon bar, and Chicken gumbo soup. Dad didn't eat any of his solid food but only drank about half of his supplements.


The afternoon walk was hot & I was sweaty. But my new sunscreen routine kept sunscreen out of my eyes. Now I use a moisturizer amount of sunscreen immediately after washing the sweat off my face. Then about 30 minutes before I actually do my walk I put on the proper amount of sunscreen; this gives it a good amount of time to soak in. Today's total was 4.3 miles.


Much of the work on Maunalani Circle on the west end is almost completed; the east end still has a few days to go.


I left Maunalani before Dad started dinner; I needed to get to The Cat Clinic in order to pick up Shiro's B-12 shots. I also needed to pay for his visits to the vet last week; I really appreciate that they let The Potential Most Favorite Roommate take Shiro in for his appointments, then leave without paying!

Shiro was looking for food when I got home this evening; I gave him the 2nd half of the packet of tuna I started last night. I also striped all the bedding off the bed and discovered that he has possibly peed on the bed a couple other times. But he's not the only one, when I removed the mattress pad (which is how I found that he has done it a couple of other times) I saw stains on the mattress. It's time for new beds!


I was watching a PBS special tonight on the woman that started the spin class business; it is making me really want to ride my bike again. I have a trainer that my bike is mounted on; I used to ride it every evening for an hour. During the summer I would ride out on the road for an hour; some weekends I would go bike camping. But now it's on the Big Island and I can only ride it when I am there. I miss my bike. :(

By the way, I finished the Harry Dresden short stories Bombshells and Jury Duty from the Side Jobs collection; next up is the novel Cold Days. The reason I like the Harry Dresden character is because he is flawed like real people; he is far from perfect. For example, one of the things he does is run for exercise and also to make sure he is in shape for when he needs to run away from a particularly nasty non-human adversary; he also sometimes runs from bad humans, too. He also can't control his sarcastic sense of humor and has mouthed off to very powerful supernatural beings who sometimes take offense and sometimes don't know how to react to what he has just said. Sometimes the voice in his head tells him that was a bad idea!


Happy Birthday to Linda, Maria, Darryl, & Naomi!

No comments:

Post a Comment