Saturday, November 17, 2018

I Love This Weather!

It was raining on & off while I got ready this morning. By the time I left the house it was just misting. Up at Maunalani it was misting on & off when I started walking; I left my sunglasses in the car because I didn't think I would need them. Not. It cleared up a bit about half way through my walk, but it wasn't that bad; it never broke through completely. It stayed pleasantly cool & I wasn't still sweating profusely after my cool down stretches. Needless to say, I didn't see any of the regulars out this morning.

On Sierra Drive below the park, looking easterly at a small sunbreak.

Dad was in bed sleeping as his breakfast sat in front of him. When I got there he had already finished the Breeze and about half his scrambled eggs!

Namaste today was in the Plumeria Dining Room since it was misting; they don't like to take the residents across the open courtyard to the Wellness Center when there is any kind of precipitation. I let Dad sleep while I went on my mid-morning walk. It was just a tad bit dryer than in the morning, but noticeably warmer & sunnier, though not uncomfortably warmer. I saw 2 groups of dog walkers that I have never seen before; no one was at the park. Like yesterday's mid-morning walk it began misting as I was doing my cool down stretches but it never rained. I did have company while I was doing my cool downs; a katydid was walking around the lanai.

I think it is the Greater Angle-Wing Katydid (Microcentrum rhombifolium).

Lunch today was Chicken florentine, Angel hair pasta, Lemon butter broccoli, tossed salad, Pineapple cheesecake, and Tomato florentine soup.  I like their chicken florentine too much! And their cheesecake. Big problem today: they gave Dad his own piece of dessert! So that left me with a dessert on my tray. A cheesecake ... it didn't last too long. Dad did not eat his cheesecake but he did eat about half of his sandwich and drank nearly all of his supplements.


It was overcast for most of the day; there were a couple of very short sunbreaks but not enough to really warm things up in the afternoon. On the weekend on my first 2 walks I include a lap around Maunalani Circle; on the 3rd walk I usually skip the circle. But during my afternoon walk today I added the lap around the circle to counteract a little of the cheesecake!


I checked the plant more today; the leaves have a central midrib which is one characteristic of a Japanese iris. The flowering stalks in the clumps also branch which is another Japanese iris feature. I  found a website for a nursery that specializes in Japanese irises and it has photos of different varieties; I couldn't find anything that looked like the plant I see. Since they grow them to sell, they are showier than the one I see and the blooms are also larger, 6" to 8" in diameter. The one I see is only about 3" in diameter. I checked a couple other websites but didn't see anything that looked like it. Then I saw Suzette & Lola during the early part of my afternoon walk; I asked her and she knew what it was! Suzette says it is called African iris or walking iris; the photos & descriptions I see on the Internet confirm that's what it is!
African iris (Dietes bicolor).

I am letting Chibi sleep with me for a few nights for us to get over the loss of Shiro. This morning when I made the bed she wouldn't move so I piled the pillows on her. She still wouldn't move.


Last night on the news I found out that there will be a showing of the movie Moananuiakea about the Hokulea's Malama Honua voyage around the world. It will be shown on the last day of the Hawaii International Film Festival tomorrow night. I checked the website, the tickets are all sold out already. :( Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for it to come to a theater near me.

Happy Birthday to Jackie, Sue, Maru, Karen, & Catie!

No comments:

Post a Comment