Wednesday, March 13, 2019

All Palapalai Now Planted

I planted the final 2 palapalai; now we wait to see how they do over the summer. I anticipate these 2 smaller palapalai will grow faster than the bigger one and be indistinguishable in a couple of years. When we were planting our mitigation sites we found that well-grown smaller sized plants would grow better than well-grown larger plants which went through a longer period adjusting to not being pampered in the nursery. During that adjustment period the above ground parts of the larger plants hardly grew.
Photopoint 1. After all palapalai planted.
Close-up of ferns. Each one has its own water source.

While adjusting the watering I noticed that Kelly had the timer attached directly to the faucet; the y-connector was sitting on the porch. Apparently Abby had hooked the irrigation line as she was running to catch a ball and broke the plastic y-connector. I will be replacing it with a metal one; when I first got it plastic was the only option at Lowe's, I'll be going to City Mill for the real one.
The new watering time. Compare the location of the timer to earlier photo.

After I dropped the palapalai off at Kelly's I went for my morning walk; I don't like to leave plants sitting in a potentially hot car for hours. I passed Ona & Rio who were going in the opposite direction on the circle; we met up on Sierra when she caught up to me by the park when I stopped to enter data on a bunch of birds. Later I passed them as Rio examined a bunch of rocks in front of Scout's house; we split up when they went down Wilhelmina and I continued to Lurline.
Three minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fourteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

During my morning walk I was passing Kelly's just as he & Abby were starting their walk. Earlier when I texted I had asked for permission to be in his back yard so I could check out a large tree that I can see from Maunalani that is northwest of him. He was a little confused, after a little more discussion he said he can't see that tree from his place because there is another tree that blocks it. He was right, you can't see much of it from his back yard.

As I was doing my cool down stretches I lost part of the bubble gum-like dressing that Dr. Ching used in my mouth on Monday. I think I lost the portion that was covering the sutures; I can feel something with my tongue that might be sutures. But I don't want to feel around too much so if it is sutures I won't disturb them. I am glad I decided to switch to a liquid diet until I can brush on that side; with the sutures exposed I am sure I would have a lot of stuff getting stuck in there!
The 2 pieces of oral wound dressing that came loose this morning.

Dad was sitting in the dining room eating his breakfast. He finished off half of his fried egg sandwich; they cut the crust off this morning. He also ate almost all of his banana but didn't touch his papaya. We went out to search for Popokilani but didn't find her so we ended up at the lookout; Dad stayed out for about 30 minutes enjoying the view of Leahi, the ocean, and the birds flying by.
Having breakfast in the Plumeria Dining Room.

My mid-morning walk was hotter & drier than walks during the last few days. When I checked the hāpuʻu it was a little moist, but much too dry for my liking.


Lunch today would have been Garlic chicken, Brown rice, Tuscan mix vegetables, Garden salad, Carrot cake, and Thai chicken curry & rice soup. I had to double check to make sure they did not sign me up for lunch today; later CNA Jessa tried to give me someone else's lunch! Dad ate his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich early on, then picked at his carrot cake.

The afternoon walk was the hottest one of the day and the hottest of the past few days. The hāpuʻu was drier than it has been. I am glad I was able to adjust the watering.


I am seeing more Kōlea molting in to their breeding plumage. When I see them I try to walk far enough away that I don't cause them to fly off; I feel like they need to spend as much time as possible fattening up for their non-stop flight to the Arctic in 5 or 6 weeks.
Kōlea on the lawn above the upper parking lot.
Kōlea on roof of house on Maunalani Circle.

I got an email from Alan today; the KHS Foundation fundraiser dinner is next weekend. He was wondering if we were going. Jackie said she can't, she is at the Okinawan identity conference that weekend; it sounds interesting, I hope to attend it some day.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mr. Gephart & Uncle Larry!

No comments:

Post a Comment