Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Not Quite So Cold Morning

It was 37 degrees F when I left Eleta's house this morning, so a bit warmer than a few of the other mornings when I went for walks with Louie. I'm glad I spent the night at Eleta and Trish's place even though my flight was 2 hours later than I thought it was; it took me about 15 minutes to get to the car rental place, instead of a couple hours.


As usual I saw a lot of friends & family on this trip, 87 to be exact. I saw Mary Ellen, Kai, Michael, Sherie, Tambe, Alex, David, Crilly, Mary, Greg, Misty, Terri, Beth, Clarissa, Monica, Paul, Carole, Jennifer, Susan, Ashton, Isaiah, Kai C., Percy, Brienne, Bernie, Laurie, Mikel, DeAndre, Karen, David O., Anne, Mary Kay, Lorena, John, Bruce, Mim, Charlie, Monet, Ben, Ed, Beth L., Dave, Eric, Joe, Bill, Marcella, Sherry, Vi, Vicky, Jennifer, Ray, Louis, Nicola, Gary, David B., Jean, Deborah, Rich, Van, Leslie, Bobbye, Ron, Darla, Gabriele, Cena, Chris, David G., Cathy, Gene, Brenda, Rick, Janice, Tami, Bernardo, Eleta, Aunty Florence, Irene, Gary N., Nadlae, Linda, Barb, Bo, Barbara, Bick, Ron, Scott, and Elias. It was great seeing everyone but, as an introvert, it was also tiring. And even though Kai did not go with me for everything, I know I "peopled" him out.

The TSA line was not as onerous as the one last week. I did about 1.8 miles of walking for both airports, though I did more walking at the Honolulu end. While in Seattle I was behind a Steelers fan. It also appears you can now buy advertising space on the TSA crowd control partitions. And TSA tells you how bad other country's security is.
There was a Steelers fan in front of me in the TSA line.
Ads for a company that apparently helps you get clearance to get through TSA faster.
Is this the pot calling the kettle black? Or is it really that bad?

Breakfast was an Egg, Colby Jack, and Tomato Sandwich with an oatmeal square. It also came with a Honolulu Cookie. I am using Hawaiian Airmiles so this trip cost me $11.20; Hawaiian is the only major airline that still provides the meal as part of your ticket so my breakfast is $5.60.
Breakfast from Hawaiian Airlines.
This is what the inside of a $5.60 breakfast sandwich looks like. But I can't complain, it included a trip to Seattle!


The flight over was uneventful, but when we landed a lot of people were commenting on photos and texts friends & family sent about how it started snowing right after we left!

I could have birded in the airport again; there was a Spotted Dove walking around in the baggage claim area. It looked like it had all its toes.


Curtis picked me up and we went to lunch at Moanalua 99, the former Ranch 99 Market. Now its just a food court. We got our lunch from 99 Local Mix Plate. Curtis had the Shoyu Chicken and I had the Thai Chicken.

It really does say "99".

Thai Chicken.
Shoyu Chicken. We might have been a little hungry.

When we left it was raining! So I went from a place known for precipitation from September through March and didn't get any; then I am some place that people think of as warm, sunny, & dry and get rained on. I heard it was drizzly for most of the days that I was gone! Oh well.


I did a short stint birding when I got back to the house; have to keep up with my checklist-a-day. I saw 6 species that I've seen before; the most interesting was a Manu-o-Ku flying uphill towards Kapiʻolani Community College. There are 5 known nest sites in the vicinity of the KCC.
The red pins are known nest trees. (From Hui Manu-o-Ku website, www.whiteterns.org)

One of the things I discovered when I got home was that none of the roommates checked the messages on the phone. Fortunately most of them were scam calls; but there were 2 calls from my credit card companies saying there was suspicious activity on the cards. This is the 1st time they have called me, I wonder which purchase is triggering their suspicion? It's probably the chair.


Not sure what else was going on while I was gone but the kitties have been switched over to using the Cat Genie; before I left it was getting pretty ripe while The Roommates were making the switch. It works well to put the regular litterbox near the Cat Genie, then NOT clean out the regular box so the cats look for something cleaner. Tonight Luna wanted to snuggle, she came and sat in my lap, even going to sleep at one point!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Edward!

No comments:

Post a Comment