Sunday, March 10, 2019

Palapalai Now Planted

Since I was unable to replace the hāpuʻu with one as tall as the invasive Australian fern I added a couple more smaller ferns to provide more potential habitat. I specified 3 palapalai (Microlepia strigosa) but did not have enough time to get the other 2 when I found out when the planting would occur. I will take care of that soon. I put out the one I did have today. Palapalai is used in the making of haku lei for hula. I really wanted peʻahi (Microsorum spectrum) but couldn't find any for sale. Peʻahi was used by the Hawaiians for strewing in the hale; when it was stepped on it released a pleasing fragrance in the hale.
Hāpuʻu with palapalai at base.

I overslept a little this morning from the late night belated celebration of The Potential Most Favorite Roommate's birthday. My morning walk started at 6:42, about 2 minutes before sunrise rather than my usual 10 minutes before. I did not see Steph at all and I only saw Lorraine once as she was coming up Wilhelmina Rise and I was crossing the street below the park. The hāpuʻu was nice and moist, but the misters would have stopped only about 15 minutes before I got there.
Two minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seventeen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad has only eaten about 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich, the kitchen had not removed the crust so it was more difficult for him to eat. He did finish off half of the apple banana.

My mid-morning walk started out a little damp, there was a very fine mist coming down while it was sunny! Then it stopped and there was no more precipitation. I met Peter, he lives in the house with the blue-green garage door a couple houses uphill from Kelly; now I have met at least one person from each of the 6  houses from Kelly's up to the intersection with Maunalani Circle. The hāpuʻu was mainly moist, one side was slightly drier than the other.


Lunch today was Baked glazed ham, Baked sweet potatoes, Steamed corn, Oatmeal cookie, and Minestrone Soup. Mine didn't have any of the sauce they usually use.


Dad had a tuna sandwich for lunch today instead of his usual peanut butter & jelly; I spilled his water and it soaked his pbj. This is the 2nd thing of Dad's I have spilled; Curtis spilled something once. And Dad, he has not spilled anything! He ate all of his tuna sandwich without complaint.

I tried to do my afternoon walk; but it was raining. I waited but it didn't stop, so I went to wait for Curtis to arrive. When he did, it looked like it stopped but then it started up again. So I decided to just go to Kelly's and plant the palapalai.



It was a good decision; it started to drizzle shortly after I started working on the palapalai. After I planted it and set up the drip line to the palapalai, I reset the automatic timer to go on every 6 hours for 30 minutes. That will mean the hāpuʻu will not be actively watered for only 5&1/2 hours; it should remain moist even in the hottest part of the day. I'll be checking on it on each of my walks to see if that works.
The new water setting.
Photopoint 1. At about 10:45 the hāpuʻu is totally in the sun.
Photopoint 1. At about 3:45 the base of the hāpuʻu & the palapalai are in the shade.

Here are a few of the succulents that The Potential Most Favorite Roommate has. He belongs to a "succulent of the month" club so he gets a couple new ones each month.

I spent some time cleaning the kitchen sink tonight. Since the Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes has been washing dishes I haven't been doing much around the sink. And when I did I didn't turn the light on over the sink since I was only doing a couple of dishes. Tonight there was a sink full of dishes, I turned the light on. It was gross! So I cleaned it up. Then I texted the photos to The Roommates.
Sink before deep cleaning.
Sink before deep cleaning with accessories removed.
After deep cleaning.
After accessories have also been cleaned.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Melody, Deanna, & Clarissa!

No comments:

Post a Comment