Friday, March 8, 2019

RIP Jake

Since I returned I had not seen Jake; I also noticed that his water dish was not near the front door. So when I saw Beam & Kira this morning, I asked Beam about Jake. She said he had been having problems and had to be euthanized last week. Will miss you Jake!
RIP Jake.

Like with Jake, every time I go on a trip I try to check in on the kupuna that I am friends with. They are still doing well at Maunalani. Both Mrs. Tanaka and Mrs. Iseri have been doing their walks in the hallways. I have seen the others in their wheelchairs.

I made it to my morning walk on time today. It was a cloudy, blustery day, but a good day for walking. I saw Steph as she was completing her lap around the circle. I also saw her later on Lurline; she is walking a new route to give her a full hour of walking and a different view.
Five minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Ten minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
This is how cold it was when I started my walk, a bit warmer than my walks with Louie!

Dad was just finishing off as much breakfast as he was going to when I arrived. He ate half of his fried egg sandwich and half of his papaya for 50% today. He drank all of his Breeze supplement.

It was very blustery during my mid-morning walk; I'm not sure if that is why I was able to see more birds close up or what. I started out seeing a mixed flock of doves and mynas, then saw a few Yellow-fronted Canaries, and ended with great photos of a Kolea on Kelly's parking strip that is starting to molt into its breeding colors! In a month or so the Kolea will begin their migration to their Arctic breeding grounds.

Yellow-fronted Canary (Crithagrica mozambica).
Kolea (Pluvialis fulva) molting in to breeding plumage.
Kolea in non-breeding plumage.
One of Miss Paulaʻs feral cats.

When I opened up my lunch today I was surprised; to save time I usually write in the blog what "was" for lunch before lunch arrives since I have a menu. Today I copied the Saturday menu, here's today's real lunch: Thai chicken with basil, Brown rice, Stir fry vegetable mix, Tossed salad, Coconut cake, and Cream of broccoli soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich and most of the cake; he drank all of his Breeze supplement.
My lunch.
Dad ate all of his lunch!

I hurried through my afternoon walk; I skipped the birding and did my walk in 35 minutes. I had gotten a text from Kelly earlier saying his yard guy would be there today to do the fern replacement.


Although the hāpuʻu had been knocked over by the winds and dogs a couple of times and was getting more sun than it is used to getting, it is still healthy & viable; it even has another new shoot coming up that was not visible before. Kelly's yard guys removed the invasive Australian fern and replanted the hāpuʻu in its place. I extended the irrigation hose and reset it for 60 minutes of watering; I gave it 60 minutes of water this evening. I will be checking on it over the next few days to make sure it is getting enough water. 
The hāpuʻu in its temporary location.
Photopoint 1. Invasive fern being removed.
Photopoint 1. Newly planted hāpuʻu.
Close-up of hāpuʻu.

I did not weigh myself this morning. With all the excitement of the police activity yesterday we forgot about fixing the WiiFit. I hoped to get that done tonight but that didn't happen.

I am now setting the alarm on my Fitbit for 1 hour before sunrise. That will give me enough time to get up, get ready, and leave by 25 minutes to sunrise. I should arrive at the parking lot by about 12 or 13 minutes to sunrise and be starting my walk by about 10 minutes to sunrise. Today sunrise was at 6:46 am; by the end of the month it will be 6:25 am. Since I am not a morning person, incrementally waking up earlier by a minute or so each day should be doable. Now I just have to figure out how to make myself go to sleep earlier so I don't start going in to sleep debt!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Dave, Suzy, Alejandro, & Anastasia!

No comments:

Post a Comment