Sunday, March 31, 2019

I Saw the Cockatoo!

As I was walking below the park near Wilhelmina this morning, I saw a large white bird flying up along Wilhelmina; it landed in a tree southeast of the tennis court. I headed up that portion of Wilhelmina so I could find out what it was; it was too chunky to be a Manu-o-Kū and it did not have long legs trailing behind it like a Cattle Egret. In fact, it looked very awkwardly shaped, kind of bulkier in front than behind; like the bird that I saw fly in to the tree on Tuesday morning. Then it called; it was the cockatoo! It was conveniently perched on a snag and I could see it clearly in a gap between live branches. I think it is an Umbrella cockatoo (Cacatua alba) based on its size and call. (FYI Googling "White Cockatoo" gets you a whole bunch of different cockatoos that are mainly white.)


Other than the cockatoo my morning walk was relatively uneventful. I didn't even see any regulars this morning. I'm not sure if it was because of the temperature, which was a little cool for here, or the fact that it seemed like there would be some precipitation. It did start to drizzle as I was finishing my cool down stretches.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Two minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
More bad karma! The chicken pooped right where I stand to do my calf stretches!

Dad was awake in bed at 7:40; he had finished half of his fried egg sandwich! He had also finished half of his papaya and about 1/3 of his banana. He drank all the Breeze supplement.

It drizzled on and off throughout the morning and actually rained a couple of times. As it got closer to my mid-morning walking time it looked like it might clear up but would then get dark and ominous again. I was feeling a little tired & chilled so I decided to skip the mid-morning walk. Then about 10 minutes in to my walk time it got nice and sunny! But then it got cloudy again; in hindsight the walk would have been dry but it kept going back and forth and since I may have been exposed to the bug that is going around Curtis' house I decided to play it safe in case I am coming down with something. I skipped the afternoon walk also because I was still feeling chilled and tired.
Raining just before my mid-morning walk.
It cleared up about 10 minutes after I usually start walking.
But clouded up about 10 minutes later!

Lunch today was Beef stir fry, Brown rice, Tossed salad, Red velvet cake, and Split pea soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich, all of the red velvet cake, and 240 ml of his Breeze supplement; another 100% lunch!


I dropped off all the tax information for Dad & me at H & R Block this afternoon; I go in tomorrow night to get the completed returns. After I dropped the paperwork off I stopped at Longs to pick up a couple of things. I walked by the protein bar section and stopped to see if there is anything worth buying. It appears that only the real meat bar had lots of protein and low carbs. The others may have had high protein but also had high carbs & sugars. I picked up a couple meat bars to try out.
The meat bars are the 2 in the center of the 3rd shelf labeled "Herb Citrus" & "Sweet BBQ".

I should mention that the movie Identity that I watched on Friday night doesn't really have a plot twist. It just seemed to me to have a plot twist since I missed the first 15 minutes. I think all along they let you know what's happening, but I liked it better without the first 15 minutes or so. Until the "plot twist" came in it seemed like a run-of-the-mill B-rate horror movie; after that it had my interest.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Peter & Steven!

No comments:

Post a Comment