Thursday, March 28, 2019

Early Evening Birding

Since I didn't see any Manu-o-Kū in the evening yesterday, I did it again this evening. I wanted to start a little earlier; maybe they come back earlier than twilight. I was out watching at about an hour before sunset. And saw no Manu-o-Kū. Maybe they keep bankers hours and I need to be looking for them even earlier in the evening! By the way, I have determined that the Cattle Egrets are not using the tree with few leaves as a night roost; that was pretty obvious last night. In fact, I did not see any signs of any trees in the area being used by the egrets or the Rose-ringed Parakeets as night roosts; I look upon this as a good thing.
Sixty-three minutes before sunset.

I left the house a little earlier this morning so I started my walk a little earlier; I still did not see any Manu-o-Kū leaving any trees. I started walking 16 minutes before sunrise and there were less birds that seemed to be active; this was also 7 minutes after the start of civil twilight. It seems like civil twilight cues the birds to start & end their day; I don't hear them around the house before I leave which is generally several minutes before civil twilight. I only saw Ona & Rio as I was driving up; I didn't see any other regulars as I was walking. I think that is also a function of me starting based on sunrise.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Three minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

As I was doing my cool down stretches I saw the Dog Pack go by. I also saw CNA Siri on her way in. And on her way back out! Apparently there is some miscommunication somewhere between Maunalani, her agency, & her; she's trying to find out where the breakdown is happening so she doesn't spend so much time on the bus or waiting for the bus instead of working! I also saw a bunch of Common Mynas while doing my stretches. I wonder if there is a special name for that like there is for crows (murder), owls (parliament), and geese (gaggle)?

I couldn't figure out what was in the tree; it was a bag.

Because I am getting started earlier as sunrise becomes earlier, I was in Dad's room by 7:55 this morning; his breakfast was already in front of him. And he was asleep; nothing had been touched. I never tried to feed him much earlier than 9 at home, because he didn't want to eat that early. He seems to be doing the same here; which I have explained to staff but they have a schedule that they have to sort of go by. Which is one of the reasons I show up; then Dad's food can remain in front of him until he naturally gets up & is ready to eat.

During my mid-morning walk I noticed a couple of the male Kōlea seem to have completed their molt into their breeding plumage. At this time of the year I try not to disturb them when they are foraging; I feel like I need to give them as much feeding time as possible so that they save their energy for their upcoming migration to the Arctic. It's now about a month away!


Lunch today was Beef stew, Steamed rice, Garden salad, Tapioca pudding, and Cream of broccoli soup. Dad quickly ate his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich, then he ate about half the tapioca pudding; he drank all 240 ml of the Breeze supplement.


The afternoon walk was hot and a bit sticky; there was only a very light breeze. But I'm getting used to walking in the afternoon. The hāpuʻu and palapalai were nice and moist. Abby wanted me to come and play with her but I could hear the other dog barking, too. I didn't want to annoy the other dog, so I told Abby I couldn't play with her today.


Dad got up and went to listen to Chin and do a little rhythm & exercise with the group this afternoon. And I didn't even have to convince him that he liked it! CNA Angie had him in the wheelchair by the time I returned from changing my clothes.

Dinner today was Herb roasted turkey, Mashed potatoes, Brown gravy, Normandy blend veggies, Devil's food cake, and Roasted garlic soup. Since Dad was in his wheelchair he ate in the dining room. Dad ate half of his tuna sandwich and a couple bites of the cake, and all of the Plus supplement.



I had a 2nd dinner when I got home. Along with icing my knees; I do it to minimize any inflammation that may be getting started due to all the movement I am doing.


I have now put a crack in the LifeProof case for my phone; it is in the upper right corner. Now it is even less waterproof than it was when I broke the hinge on the charging port door. The phone itself is still working well, so I see no reason to get a new phone. (And I have now jinxed myself...)

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Lenny & Jon!

No comments:

Post a Comment