Thursday, March 7, 2019

Rather Warm Morning Walk

On my morning walk I was a bit late, I started my walk 1 minute after sunrise. It was 70 degrees F when I started; after my walks with Louie now even a 57 F morning will not feel cold to me! I saw Steph and Kelly & Abby walking; later I saw Marian and Tom driving by. I also saw Kira & Beam, Kira kept saying, "Mouse. Mouse." The flat rat was still there but some time in the last week it had been flipped over. Along the way I thought I found another invasive plant, a really bad one called Japanese Knotweed, which I did not think grew here. It turned out to be just a robust pothos.
One minute after sunrise on Maunalani.
Seventeen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
This is the same rat, but its flipped over.
This looks like Japanese Knotweed, but it turns out is is just a pothos.

During my cool down stretches birds started coming around me at the covered overlook; I was wondering if Alfred Hitchcock was nearby. But then I noticed some food that someone had dropped earlier. I got some pretty good photos of 2 of the 3 cardinal species that are here.
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis).
Red-crested Cardinals (Paroaria coronata).

Dad was sitting in bed looking at his breakfast when I got there. He decided he did not want to eat anything but he wanted to keep the bananas so he hid them in his bed.

My mid-morning walk started out normal. But as I was about midway along the upper part of the Maunalani Circle I saw 3 Manu-o-Ku sail by! I could not tell whether they had just left a tree or were coming in from the ocean; they disappeared behind a house so I could not see if they were going in to a tree. I saw Ken on the other side of the loop and told him what I saw. He said the only thing he had seen recently was the Rose-ringed Parakeets coming to feed on the nuts on the trees across from his house; he said occasionally a white cockatoo is also there and the Rose-ringed Parakeets chase it off. I will have to be on the look out for the cockatoo. Later I saw LaVie, Tazzie, & Kila down by the park. I took a closer look at the invasive fern; it looks like Kelly's yard guy did not come around when I was gone, his wall is kind of fuzzy looking. The creeping fig needs a trim.

The wall is kinda fuzzy.

While doing my cool down stretches on the 3rd floor landing I spotted a white bird in the distance! I thought it might be a Manu-o-Ku but it was flapping kind of slowly. It was a false alarm, it was just  a Cattle Egret. I also saw a moving van parked in front of Jimmy's house; not sure if things were coming or going.


Lunch today was Pork long squash, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Sweet corn haupia, and Beef vegetable soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich without hesitation; he was less enthusiastic about the sweet corn haupia and only ate one bite of it. He drank most of his Breeze supplement.


During my afternoon walk I found another patch of kauna'oa (dodder, Cuscuta sandwichiana), it was on Sierra below the park. I had previously found the kaunaʻoa up by the covered viewpoint at Maunalani.


I gave Mrs. Iseri some Seattle Chocolates; she gave me some Pocky. She wants me to let her know about 2 weeks prior to when I am going to see Kai again so she can give me treats for him.

As I was getting ready to leave Maunalani I got a text from DT saying, "Our street is blocked off (I had to park on a side street) for now not sure what happened but it looks serious!" He said he saw the EMTs attending to someone on the ground; he thinks someone may have been hit by a car. Which is not unrealistic, lots of people drive too fast coming over that hill. The police left about 15 minutes after I got home.
This is what DT saw when he got home; the police car is on 8th. (Photo by DT)
This is what I saw when I got home; this police car is on 9th. You can see the firetruck behind the police car.
Another police car showed up after DT got home.
The firetruck left, the victim is in the ambulance.

The kittens appear to have made the switch to the Cat Genie. I found some evidence that they are using it.
Someone made a deposit.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Rachel & Christina!

No comments:

Post a Comment