Tuesday, March 26, 2019

No Breakfast This Morning

Today is Tuesday, but it is also Prince Kūhiō Day which is a holiday here; adult day care for Curtis' in-laws is closed and he is unable to get away for breakfast. So it was just a normal walking day for me. On my way up this morning I passed Ona & Rio as they were on Sierra; later we walked past each other in opposite directions on Lurline. One of the contractors working on the house on Lurline in the sharp curve waved as he went by; I'm getting to know all of them, too. They were the only regulars I saw today, even during my cool down stretches.
Twelve minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Four minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
 
Dad was sleeping when I got in. CNA Angelica told me he was up earlier and very confused; he continued being a little confused as I spoke with him a little while later. His breakfast tray was not correct this morning; he had scrambled eggs instead of his fried egg sandwich. While Angelica was getting his correct order he picked at the scrambled eggs, he must have been hungry since he usually did not eat them before. He did not eat the apple banana or papaya. He ended up eating about half the scrambled eggs and a couple bites of the fried egg sandwich once it arrived.

I saw 3 Manu-o-Kū on my mid-morning walk! Two of them flew over me as I was just uphill of the sharp turn on Lurline, then they dropped down in to Waiʻalaenui Gulch to the east of Maunalani. Less than a minute later a 3rd one cruised by and did the same thing; I got a photo of it but its just a white speck in the sky. If I had been on the 3rd floor landing when they were flying I probably would have been able to find the nest tree. I need to get a better look at the 3rd bird to determine if it is a juvenile. According to the Hui Manu-o-Kū website the chicks fledge in 45 days, but stick around at the nest tree for a few more months. In the meanwhile, the parents continue to return with fish to feed it every day. The juvenile will fly around the area but does not go out to sea to feed itself for several months; may be that 3rd bird is a juvenile. If not, there might be 2 nests.
Black arrow is location of sharp turn on Lurline, red arrow is flight path of Manu-o-Kū along Lurline this morning, yellow circles are potential nest trees at top of Maunalani Circle.
The little white speck in the center is the Manu-o-Kū.
Here's an enlarged view of the speck.

The hāpuʻu and palapalai were somewhat dry during my mid-morning walk. It looked like the irrigation did not come on. I texted Kelly to have him check on it. He said the y-connector was loose & leaking. By the afternoon walk the ferns were being watered again.

During my mid-morning cool down stretches I heard a siren coming up the hill. It came closer & closer, then the siren shut off. I thought it had stopped somewhere lower down on the hill as I went in to change. When I came out I looked towards the main doors and saw a firetruck & ambulance there. A short ways down the hall I saw them preparing to load Mr. Nomura up for a ride to the emergency room.

Lunch today was Korean BBQ chicken, Brown rice, Sesame broccoli salad, Garden salad, Lemon meringue pie, and New England clam chowder. Obviously that was not lemon meringue pie on my tray, it was red velvet cake. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich, 2 pieces of red velvet cake (I gave him my piece also since he seemed to like it a lot), and drank all 240 ml of his Breeze supplement. LPN Chivas says Dad gets an A+ for eating lunch today!


For the afternoon walk I focused on looking for Manu-o-Kū in the large trees on the upper part of Maunalani Circle (the ones I circled in yellow in the photo above). I didn't see any adults but sometimes they are difficult to see; the chicks are even harder to see. During my cool down stretches after my mid-morning walk I was hoping to see the Manu-o-Kū returning, but no such luck. During my afternoon cool down stretches I was just hoping to see one flying around. I did see something white fly in to a tree, but I am not sure what it was; the tree was not the type of tree that the Manu-o-Kū like for nesting and it was down in the ravine rather than up on top of the hill.

Red arrow points to tree white bird went in to.

Dinner tonight was Beef lasagna, Garlic bread, Italian mix vegetables, Peach shortcake, and Ham & bean soup; I requested the alternate entree of Tarragon roast chicken in an effort to reduce my carbs. For the alternate entree, the residents get theirs 1st, if there is anything left then guests can also get the alternate entree. I was able to get the chicken which came with steamed corn; it was very good. The ham & bean soup was also good. Dad ate all of his 1/2 tuna sandwich and most of the dessert; he drank 240 ml of the Plus supplement.


S'mores had to be confined for 3 days after being spayed so she wouldn't pull her stitches. The Roommates kept her confined today, too. She's just as rambunctious as ever; the surgery has not slowed her down one bit so they are concerned she might still pull the stitches.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Brian & Todd!

No comments:

Post a Comment