Saturday, March 30, 2019

It's Saturday!

I saw Ona jogging up the hill as I completed the lap around the circle; she jogs on Saturdays. Earlier, as I arrived in the parking lot, LaVie was walking past with Tazzie & Kila; later I saw her as she was headed to the bus stop, minus dogs, so she could ride down to the bottom then walk back up. She rides down so it is easier on her knees. Caroline & Olive were just starting their walk as I passed. Later by the park I saw Lorraine going up; I saw both Ona & Lorraine going down Lurline when I was on my way up Lurline. Just as I was passing Sierra on the last block of my walk, I saw Steph about a block below Maunalani on Sierra; I walked down to meet her. We walked up together then around the circle and talked; it made my walk a bit longer but that was okay since I had not seen her for a week!
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Ten minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
My distance is usually 1.6 miles.
A small flattened toad.
A flattened brown anole.

Dad was in his wheelchair, sitting in the Plumeria Dining Room for breakfast; he was sharing a table with Mrs. Keliikipi and Mrs. Pang. Today he ate about half of his fried egg sandwich, about half of the papaya, and about half of the banana. He drank all 240 ml of his Breeze supplement. He complained of his okole being sore from sitting and went back to bed right after breakfast.


The mid-morning walk today was a little hotter than yesterday. The birds also seemed to notice that, too; they seemed to be less active. On Thursday evening while looking for the Manu-o-Kū, I heard a strange bird calling; it sounded like it was coming from down by the park. I heard it again during this walk; it sounded like it was coming from a house I had just walked past just across the street from the lower part of the park. I might have to stop and talk to anyone I see there to find out what it is.


I am thinking I may also have to watch for the person who drives the car that I found the bird splat on and also for the people that live at the houses where the potential Manu-o-Kū trees are. In the past I think I have only seen activity there twice.

Sometimes I am a little slow in figuring things out. Like today. I finally realized why it is cooler and shadier on the 3rd floor landing than it is on the 2nd floor landing. The 3rd floor is the top floor so there is an eave! Duh!
Second floor; also note the tree.
Third floor.

It also took me a little bit to figure out how come there was no start button on the Countdown function of my Fitbit when the seconds count was 0:00. Duh!



Lunch today was Mushroom chicken, Mashed potatoes, Malibu blend veggies, Ambrosia, and Beef & rice soup. Dad's tray did not come with dessert so I gave him mine. He ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich, all of the ambrosia dessert, and drank all 240 ml of the Breeze supplement. Another 100% meal!


During my afternoon walk I had to alter my route while in progress; the large mango tree on Lurline just uphill from the intersection with Matsonia was being trimmed. So I went up Matsonia which made my walk a little longer. The tree with few leaves is on Matsonia, as I walked by I was looking up to see if there were any nests. A guy working nearby asked if I was looking for the cockatoo. Michael said it comes by often and showed me a short clip he had taken of it on his phone; that was the sound I heard on Thursday evening & earlier today! I am pretty sure it is also the white bird that flew in to the tree on Tuesday morning; that tree is behind Michael's house. I had a great talk with Michael; he also told me about his silky chicken Spike and the small ponds that he and a neighbor have that the Cattle Egrets are always visiting. I told him about the Manu-o-Kū; he'll give me a call if he sees any. As I continued on my way I realized that I had never walked up Matsonia before; I had only walked down because of how steep it was.

The tree trimming on Lurline as seen from Matsonia.
The tree with few leaves. I saw a couple birds in it but no nests.
Now I remember why I only walked down Matsonia!
Even some cars have trouble with the steepness of the hill.
The detour added about 0.1 mile to my walk.

I saw a bunch of cats today. Five to be exact; but I only got photos of 2 of them.
This shy guy was on Maunalani Circle.
This cool cat is on the wall next to Scout's house.

Last night I forgot to mention that Jenny was back from Japan; Curtis gave me a bag of omiyage that she brought back for me. One was a bag of the candies that look like cats; the other is apparently fruit candies.


Here's a photo of Luna in the morning; she comes to see me within a minute or so of the time I open my bedroom door. S'mores, on the other hand, generally waits until I am in the kitchen or does not show up at all.
The Luna excluder at work!

Here are the photos from yesterday with arrows pointing to the birds (red) and nest (green). The nest does not belong to the Manu-o-Kū.



Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Bob, Marisa, & Delaney!

No comments:

Post a Comment