Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Happy Equinox!

Today at 11:58 here, the sun crossed the Equator; today is the Vernal Equinox. And although "equinox" means "equal night", it's close but not exactly equal. According to the TimeandDate.com website, we had 1 minute & 13 seconds more daylight today than night. I didn't let that interfere with my sunrise walk, though my lack of sleep last night almost did! This time I slept through my alarm and woke up at 6:01! But I was able to get it together and started my walk at 6:27. I passed Ona & Rio on my drive up & later saw them as I was walking. Later I saw Mike & Dulci from the Dog Pack as I was wrapping up my walk.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Nine minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

The moon was just beginning to set as I started my walk. It seemed rather hazy, but I think it was ocean spray again since it wasn't voggy. Mao ka polalauahi. (I think thatʻs the correct way to say it.)


Dad's fried egg sandwich had the crust cut off this morning! He had eaten half of it by the time I arrived. But that was all he ate for breakfast today along with drinking all of his Breeze supplement.

During my mid-morning walk I saw Mike but Wilts wasn't with him this morning. I also saw Maisie & Daisy, I haven't seen them in a while. I checked the hāpuʻu and the water was on! I had thought the timer reset after 24 hours and in the meanwhile it would water on the previous schedule; which would have been every 4 hours in this case. Which would have meant that it would have been on 2 hours earlier or later than when I was there; not right then. I did not check in the morning because it is always moist that early in the day. During my cool down stretch on the 3rd floor landing I saw a white bird fly by in the distance! Auwe! Another Cattle Egret.


Lunch today was Kalua pork with cabbage, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Bread pudding, and Chicken gumbo soup. I am no longer requesting lunch to be pureed so I ate the kalua pork with cabbage in small bites and very slowly. I also ate the salad very slowly. It was good. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich but only 1 bite of the bread pudding; he drank all his Breeze supplement.


After lunch I took the last of the amoxicillin I was given for my oral surgery. It was a momentous occasion! I stopped the acetaminophen a couple days ago, even though the surgery area would throb when I walked up the steeper hill, it was no longer painful enough to be distracting.


The afternoon walk was overcast with a light breeze, it was very comfortable. I checked the hāpuʻu and it was moist; I think the hourly watering for 30 minutes is working for now. I hope it continues to work during the summer. When I went to wash my face & change my sweaty shirt I must have been tired, I didn't lift my head high enough to clear the gooseneck faucet and hit my head just above my right eye; fortunately I didn't hit it hard enough for it to get discolored.


Dinner tonight was New England style beef brisket, Brown rice, Dilled baby carrots, Cran apple crisp, and Garden vegetable soup. My tray had fresh pineapple chunks instead of the crisp; I prefer the pineapple so that was good. Obviously it was not brown rice, which I would have liked. Chewed slowly, the brisket & carrots were great! The soup was bland as usual. Dad ate his 1/2 tuna sandwich and 1 bite of the cran-apple crisp; he drank all of his Boost Plus supplement.


Dad is so good about taking his vitamins and eye drops from RN Ramona on the evening shift. But earlier he gave LPN Chivas a really bad time with the same things during the afternoon; it took a few minutes to convince him to take everything. Dad seems to not question some of the nurses and aides but has difficulty with others; I have not been able to figure out why he is better with some than with others. We thought it was gender but that doesn't always hold true.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Heather! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #20 to Tom & Carrie!

No comments:

Post a Comment