Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Bad Karma

I saw the feral chicken this morning, strutting along the top of the railing below the covered viewpoint where I do my early morning cool down stretches. I wanted to get a photo of it flying to see if it did better than the overly hybridized chickens that are raised for meat & laying. Not a good idea.


I shook the bush between the chicken & me & it took off.
Wait a minute! Where's it going? Oh, no!
It landed on my car!
I was not responsible for this; it was already there when I showed up.

I saw Ona & Rio as I drove up but didn't see them later as I was walking. I also saw Caroline & Olive in the distance. At the lower end of Lurline I saw a white bird fly into the tree with few leaves; it was a Cattle Egret. The tree with few leaves is near the tree I saw the other white bird fly in to during my afternoon cool down stretches yesterday. Perhaps the Cattle Egrets have a roosting area in the ravine; I'll have to check with the neighbors. (If it was a nesting area I would be able to see the nests in the tree with few leaves.) The water was on when I walked past the hāpuʻu and palapalai; yay!
Ten minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Red arrow points to leafless tree that Cattle Egret flew in to.
New construction on Maunalani Circle.
Flattened toad; its a different one than the one seen on Monday. It was at least a block away.

During my  cool down stretches this morning I saw nothing unusual in the upper parking lot like yesterday when I saw a bird that reminded me of a Swainson's Thrush. It had a brownish back and whitish breast with very obvious spots; it also had a white eye ring. But it was smaller than a Swainson's; it might have been an American Pipit (Anthus rubescens), but I've never seen one and it is somewhat non-descript so I don't know for sure. The pipit has been seen as a vagrant here but the Swainson's has never been seen here. Since the pipit is found on both sides of the North Pacific it is possible this could be a bird that got lost or blown off course during its north-south migration.

Also during my cool down stretches I heard and saw a firetruck coming up Wilhelmina Rise again. I saw it turn off Wilhelmina and come up Sierra then turn on to Lurline; shortly after it got to the intersection with Monterey the siren went silent. Unlike yesterday, they never showed up at Maunalani.
Firetruck coming up Sierra Drive.
Firetruck heading to the left on Lurline Drive.

Dad ate half of his fried egg sandwich; it came with the crust again. He also drank all of his Breeze supplement but did not eat any papaya or apple banana.

During my mid-morning walk I didn't see any cool birds or even not-so-cool birds doing cool things. It was a rather boring walk, but the ferns were actively being watered again when I passed by.


Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Peas & carrots, Garden salad, Macaroon bar, and Chicken gumbo soup. I remember previous pork tofu meals where the pork tofu came in its own dish; they put it on the rice this time. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich, all of his dessert and half of mine! He drank all 240 ml of his Breeze supplement.


As I was getting ready for my afternoon walk I could hear sirens coming up the hill. When I got to the 3rd floor to head out I saw the fire truck and ambulance outside the main door; they were getting ready to come in. I'm not sure who they came for but I think it might have been Mr. Kaneshiro. Yesterday they took Mr. Nomura to the emergency room; this morning his name tag was on his door, this afternoon it was not. I hope that only means his family doesn't want the room held while he is being treated. (They would have to pay for the room even if he is not at the facility.)
Firetruck at Maunalani.
Looking down on parking lot at firetruck & ambulance at Maunalani.

During my walk it was uneventful until I got to Jimmy's house. It turns out that it's not really Jimmy's house! It is Wendy & Victor's house; Jimmy comes once a month to help them sort through & clean out her parents things from the house. Wendy had just come out the gate with Mickey & Bella; Victor came out a short while later with Nalo, their oldest dog (12 years) that they adopted 2 years ago.


After I got back and we were waiting for dinner, there were more sirens coming up the hill. This time they took Mr. Inouye away; he & Mr. Kaneshiro were roommates.

Dinner tonight was Sweet & sour chicken, Brown rice, Steamed corn, Gingerbread, and Vegetable Florentine soup. There was no soup on my tray. The chicken was good; I gave my dessert to Dad. He ate a whole tuna sandwich in 20 minutes! But he didn't care for the gingerbread; he ate one bite & told CNA Angelica to take it away!


Last night I sent a comment on the Hui Manu-o-Kū website saying, "I think there is a Manu-o-Kū nesting at the top of Wilhelmina Rise off of Maunalani Circle. What is the best time of day to spot the adults leaving/coming back to the nest tree? I have seen them flying in the same vicinity 8 times in the last month; I saw 3 individuals this morning. Mahalo for any help you can provide on this." Rich, who led the Manu-o-Kū tour I went on last year, responded this morning. He  said most of the activity takes place in the morning and early evening. So I stayed after Dad went to sleep to watch for th Manu-o-Kū. I started watching at eighteen minutes before sunset and stayed until nine minutes after civil twilight, or about 47 minutes. Several birds began singing a lot, especially the White-rumped Shamas. But a few minutes after 7, right around civil twilight, all the birds stopped singing. I didn't see any Manu-o-Kū.
Eighteen minutes before sunset on Maunalani.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Andreas!

No comments:

Post a Comment