Saturday, March 16, 2019

Ikiiki Kēia Lā

Today is humid. That's what I was feeling during the morning walk; there were no clouds and no breeze. I got a slightly late start; I almost forgot I had to feed the kitties this morning since all The Roommates were gone. On the drive up I saw Lorraine as she was just reaching Sierra, Steph as she had just started up Wilhelmina, and Ona as she was jogging past the Maunalani driveway. I later saw Steph & Lorraine as they neared the top of Sierra, then as they were on their way down Lurline.
One minute before sunrise at Maunalani.
Twenty-two minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

So I am obviously on the ʻOlelo Hawaiʻi lesson chapter on weather. It is the 7th chapter in the DuoLingo app. Although DuoLingo says that I know 98 Hawaiian words, the only phrase that I know that I know is, Anuanu au. "I'm cold." DuoLingo has a variety of ways that it teaches you words and phrases, including hearing it being said while you read the words.



Dad was done with breakfast when I arrived; they had fed him earlier than usual today. CNA Sharmaine said he ate half his fried egg sandwich & half the papaya; he drank all of the Breeze.

I misplaced my water bottle yesterday; I couldn't find it when I checked the refrigerator this morning. I looked all over the house and in the car but couldn't find it. So I thought it must be at Maunalani, but it wasn't in Dad's room. I left a message at the main desk. So far it hasn't been found. I even texted Kelly to see if I left it in his front yard when I went to check on the hapuʻu on my way home yesterday evening; not there. Auwe!
The water bottle when it was brand new, 03/21/18.

So may be its feeling humid because there is no breeze; the temperature is not elevated like it gets when we have Kona weather. The mid-morning walk did not seem to be a lot hotter than the morning walk, just sticky. The hāpuʻu was still somewhat moist but the palapalai could use more water. When I install the metal y-connector, I will readjust the water.


The lunch menu today was Saucy cabbage roll, Steamed rice, Sauteed herbed zucchini, Tossed salad, Mandarin orange cake, and Broccoli cheese soup. I was not in the room when they brought Dadʻs lunch in; they left the meal ticket that says what he gets on the tray table. He spent a lot of time looking at it, trying to make sense out of it, instead of eating. I moved it away when LPN Chivas came in to give him his vitamins. He finished off his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich immediately, then slowly worked on the mandarin orange cake until it was gone; he also drank most of the Breeze supplement.

I forgot to mention earlier, Chivas used to be a CNA. But he has been taking classes & passed his LPN test last month and is now being trained to take on more responsibilities at Maunalani. Congratulations, Chivas! Several of the other CNAs are on the same track.

My afternoon walk was like yesterday, not any hotter than yesterday but with a slight bit more of a breeze. There was a slug that didn't quite get that it should not be out at this time of the day. I got a little excited when I saw a white bird out of the corner of my eye as I was walking up Lurline. A Manu-o-Kū! Wait, its wings aren't quite right, nah, just a Cattle Egret. Oh, well.

I couldn't believe it was right out in the open.
Cattle Egret. It's wings are cupped, not flat like a Manu-o-Kū. (It was also larger which isn't evident in this photo.)

This liquid diet is affecting my thinking. I got home this evening and watched the educational television station. They had a series of shows about food. I started with Americaʻs Test Kitchen, moved on to Taste of Malaysia with Martin Yan, and ended with Samantha Brownʻs Places to Love. I'm so hungry.
(Screen shot from KHET.)
(Screen shot from KHET.)

Last night I finally had to recharge the Anker battery pack; I was able to get 7 full charges of my phone out of it. It took about 12 hours to charge it up again.
When all 4 blue lights are lit its fully charged.

I had a surprise last night when I climbed in to bed. I rolled over & got poked in the side  by something. I searched the bedspread & patchwork quilt but didn't find anything; did the same with my leggings and my shorts. Nothing. I searched the mattress. Nothing; so I tried again. It turns out when my Okinawan grandmother made the patchwork quilt she forgot to remove one of the pins! I ended up using the wire cutters to trim off as much of the shaft as possible; I left the head inside the quilt.
The pin in the quilt.
Removing the part protruding out of the quilt.

While I was awake last night, S'mores did not use the Cat Genie; she did not use it before I left this morning either. And I did not hear the Cat Genie running last night; I usually do. I did a cursory check this morning for the 2 places I had found pee before but did not find anything. I texted The Roommates to thoroughly check the house before they switched & let Luna out and put S'mores in the bathroom. They did but couldn't find anything; they let Luna out and isolated S'mores. Then we waited. Luna was using the Cat Genie.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Kip! I canʻt believe you are a big boy now at 7 years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment