Saturday, March 23, 2019

KHS Foundation Dinner

Tonight was the Kaimuki High School Foundation Dinner; I went with my high school friends Alan & Lois, Jackie was unable to join us. The dinner was catered by Zippy's and included Braised beef short ribs with Cabernet sauce, Mochiko chicken, Pork nishime, Potato macaroni salad, Chinese chicken salad with won ton & oriental dressing, Assorted sushi, & White rice. Dessert was malasadas from Pipeline Bakeshop & Creamery.




The dinner is always followed by entertainment provided by either current or former KHS students. Tonight it started with a group called PCMK which is part of Ka 'Ohana O Mele, a Polynesian music class led by instructor Bobby Yu. PCMK stands for "Pohnpei Chuuk Marshallese Kosrae", the islands that the young ladies families are from. They were followed by the professional band Deju Blu, the lead vocalist and guitar player are Kaimuki graduates.
PCMK
Deja Blu

On the drive up for my morning walk I was hoping to see a Manu-o-Kū. Since it was overcast and darker than usual I thought they might leave the nest later & I might see one; no such luck. And I didn't even see any of the regular humans either. When I was walking, though, Ona passed me twice as she jogged up and back; it's Saturday, that's when she jogs along her route. When I did the last part of my walk, I decided to try to do it faster than I had yesterday; I did it in 38 seconds, 4 seconds faster than yesterday. I wasn't jogging but I wasn't sprinting either; just doing it a little faster than yesterday. While I was doing my cool down stretches Ken walked by with the early dogs; Steph also walked by.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Nine minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I saw a couple of Common Mynas while I was doing my cool down stretches. I have noticed that they are almost always in pairs; so now if I see one I always look around for the 2nd one. Towards the end of my cool down stretches, it began to drizzle. In fact, for most of the day it was drizzling on and off.
Common Myna.


Dad was in bed eating breakfast when I got in; he said he was done when I arrived at 8:15. He had eaten 1 bite of his fried egg sandwich, about half of the papaya, and about half of the apple banana; I marked him down at 25%. He drank all his Breeze supplement.

It was overcast with a light breeze during my mid-morning walk; great walking weather! At the end of my walk I ran up the last portion; this time I did it in 36 seconds! It felt good! Though I am not really sure it isn't one of those, "Why are you hitting yourself with the hammer? Because it feels so good when I stop" kind of things!


Lunch today was Pork yakisoba, Seasoned broccoli florets, tossed salad, Fresh pineapple, and Potato chowder. The yakisoba was really bland today; I had to add shoyu to give it some flavor. I need to find out whether guests can get the alternate entree so I can minimize my carb intake; today's alternate was Parmesan chicken which had way less carbs than the yakisoba. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich & 2 bites of the pineapple; he drank all of the Breeze supplement.


I skipped the afternoon walk. Alan picked everyone up for the foundation dinner since parking is limited; I needed to be ready to go by 4:15 which is usually when I am getting home. I did not want it to be like last year when I totally forgot and was up at Maunalani when he called, wondering where I was! I went down Wilhelmina Rise & made it home in 7 minutes; I usually take 15 minutes!

S'mores came back from the vet today; she stayed overnight last night since she had major surgery  for spaying. She is confined to the bathroom and will be for a few days so she doesn't pull any stitches playing too roughly with Luna.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Marian, Mike, and Sandy!

No comments:

Post a Comment