Monday, March 18, 2019

More Floor Work

Today they worked on polishing the floor of the hallway in front of Dad's room. They started with Geldy & Orlando giving the floor a thorough cleaning. Then they polished half the hallway, giving it 2 coats. Then they did the other half, also with 2 coats. There were 3 fans on high to help speed up the drying, one fan was plugged in to the outlet in Dad's room. They finished just after lunch.
Geldy washing the flooring.
Orlando sucking up the wash water.
Emerson pours out the polish solution while Geldy spreads it.
Working on the half away from Dad's door.
Waiting for the polish to dry.
Using the fans to help speed things along.
Dad watches the activity during lunch.

I felt like I was off to a really early start this morning but I wasn't; it was my normal time. I think it was because there were so few clouds this morning that it felt earlier. I did not see any of the regular walkers. But I did see Kelly off in the distance taking his rubbish can back in.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Ten minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
I found this eggshell near my photo point; not sure whose it is. It's about the diameter of a dime.

When I went to start my morning cool down stretches I saw an ʻEhakō pecking at an old chicken bone; they eat grains & seeds & an occasional insect but not other birds! And it wasn't just one ʻEhakō, there were several until the feral chicken came & chased them away; the chicken then proceeded to engage in cannibalism! They are known to peck at each other so its not surprising; they will also eat insects, small rodents, and small reptiles & amphibians.
ʻEhakō eating chicken.
Chicken cannibal!


Dad had breakfast in bed but had not touched anything. His fried egg sandwich was whole and still had all the crust on. After I removed the crust & cut it in half he quickly ate half of it. He was drinking his Breeze supplement when they began the floor polishing work. That distracted him and he stopped eating for the entire time they were doing the work.


The cold front that is here made the mid-morning walk very nice; although it was sunny the temperature was cooler with a light breeze. I stayed on the 2nd floor landing for my cool down stretches since I could hear someone on the 3rd floor landing on a phone call. I saw another Manu-o-Kū but it was flying along the lower portion of the hillside, coming from Palolo Valley & going out to sea; it was not the one that might be nesting on Maunalani.


The lunch menu today was Oriental shoyu chicken, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Garden salad, Peanut butter bar, and Tomato red pepper bisque soup. The pureed chicken was very bland and they did not give enough sauce to perk it up; CNAs Jessa & Angelica said the same about their meals of whole chicken. The green stuff tasted great! I think it was actually pureed sweet peas, it tasted like the excellent Sweet Pea & Garlic soup that I make. My soup is almost as thick as the puree and a vibrant green! During lunch Dad was still focused on the floor polishing work; he fell asleep and never touched his lunch


My afternoon walk was uneventful but still pleasant.


I was curious about how many painted traffic control boxes there were and how many I had seen. I thought there were 8 that were painted but it turns out it is actually 13 for this project that started on 09/22/18. They are on 2 different streets: Waialae Avenue and Harding Avenue. According to the article, on Waialae it extends from from 8th Avenue to 17th Avenue and on Harding from 7th Avenue to Koko Head Avenue. So far I have only posted photos of 7 boxes though I have seen 2 others while driving; a couple of these boxes are outside of the area indicated in the article. Here are the boxes I have seen, listed from west to east on their respective streets along with the dates that I took the photos.
Harding & 4th, a few blocks east of 7th. (12/04/18)
Harding & 6th, one block east of 7th. (11/19/18 & 12/04/18)
Harding & 7th. (10/18/18)
Harding & 11th. (09/24/18)
Waialae & 5th, a few blocks east of 8th. (03/17/19)
Waialae & 10th. (10/04/18)
Waialae & Koko Head. (11/25/18)

I FOUND MY WATER BOTTLE!!! It had fallen in to a box so I could not see it. But now I have it back again. I'm happy!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Patricia, Chris, Joe, Steve, & Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment