Saturday, August 3, 2019

Adios, Erick!

My morning walk was not as blustery today as it was yesterday but it was still relatively cool; I think its because Tropical Storm Erick is leaving. During my walk I saw Lori and her Dog Pack up on the circle. Later by the downhill side of the park,  I saw Ona in the distance as she came up Wilhelmina Rise. During my cool down stretches Ona went by with Rio; later Lorraine came by with more pikake! She said her plants have been blooming for a few days then resting, then blooming again. We also talked about her tree fern, which she thinks might be a hāpuʻu; sheʻs going to take some photos for me.
Twenty minutes before sunrise on Wai'alae.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Double pikake.
Another 'Ehakõ victim.

I saw a Manu-o-Kū during my cool down stretches. It was flying over the ravine between Sierra & Lurline, headed upslope towards the trees at the top of the hill. I will have to be more vigilant to see if I can spot whether it has fish in its beak or not. Manu-o-Kū breed year round (though most eggs are laid between February & June), so it could mean the pair is starting to breed again.

Dad was eating breakfast in bed when I arrived. He ate half of his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya & banana. He drank 120 ml apple juice and 60 ml water.

Just as I was getting ready to leave for my mid-morning walk RN Trang came in to take Dad's vitals (they were all good). I asked her when he was scheduled to take the Bactrim; I want to be there to make sure he takes it. She said she was running late since she got assigned late to be the RN for this wing; the regular nurse called in sick. The computer was down for maintenance for a short while, by the time everything was back on line it was too late to start my walk; but I did find out when Dad takes his Bactrim. It's at 6:30 in the morning & evening, so both times when I am not around anyway.

Lunch today was Saucy cabbage roll, Steamed rice, Sauteed herbed zucchini;, Tossed salad, Mandarin orange cake, and Broccoli cheese soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 pieces of cake; he drank 60 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water.


I skipped the afternoon walk. Once again I was really tired and slept through my prep time. Aue!

The Last Unicorn shirts came in! I went to pick them up this afternoon. While at the mall I decided to get dinner from Grylt again. I tried the ahi this time. But once again, I forgot to take a photo; I think its because it smells so good.

I also went to Whole Foods to see if I could find any of those low-carb, cheese-only crackers. I checked at Times but they didn't have any. But Whole Foods did; they had Parm Crisps. It's the same brand that I found at Takata Store, but in a bag instead of a tub. I found that there are several brands of "crackers" made of cheese. I'll have to try them all and see how they are.


Tropical Storm Erick has gotten even weaker; winds have decreased to 35 mph, so Erick is now a tropical depression. It is about 530 miles southwest of us and continues to head westerly away from us. This is my last update about Erick.


Tropical Storm Flossie is a little stronger than Erick with winds around 45 mph; tropical storm force winds (39 mph & greater) extend about 90 miles from the center. It is about 620 miles east of Hilo and moving west-northwesterly at about 13 mph. The forecasters are saying we should start feeling the effects on Monday or Tuesday.


In the meanwhile, Tropical Storm Gil has formed in the Eastern North Pacific and is moving westerly at around 10 mph; its winds are about 40 mph. If it crosses in to the Central North Pacific region as a tropical storm or larger, I will begin posting nightly updates on where it's at.


I just had to share this from Facebook; hurricane preparation in Hawai'i:

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Greg!

No comments:

Post a Comment