Saturday, August 10, 2019

Why is My Knee Sore?

As I was walking up the circle during my mid-morning walk my left knee began to hurt; I thought I would have to cut my walk short but by the end of the circle it wasn't hurting any more. I could not figure out why it was sore. I'm glad I was able to get past the pain; I met 3 new people today. The first was Kylie; she was walking Satin, the unusually friendly, long-haired Shiba Inu. I usually see Satin with Alex, who is Kylie's significant other. Later I met Ken & Orion, who had zinc oxide sunscreen on the top of his nose and a special UPF dog-shirt. Ken said those 2 things made walking in the hot weather much easier for Orion. And lastly I met Peter; he does not have a dog, he just walks a lot during the mid-morning. I also saw a Zebra Dove that had no tail.

Tailless Zebra Dove.

My knees were not bothering my during my morning walk. During my walk I saw Ona jogging up the hill, then later back down the hill. I also saw Calvin the Recycler both walking up, then back down the hill. And lastly I saw Rosie & Daisy; I had not seen them for several months. During my cool down stretches Ken and Toto & Chico came up to the Night-blooming Cereus flower that was open; Ken brushed his fingers along the anthers then along the stamens to help pollinate them. He said when he does that there are more dragonfruit that form. I also saw the White Cockatoo and a Red-vented Bulbul that looked like Popokilani had gotten a hold of it, there were no feathers on its neck.
Fourteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Five minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Red-Vented Bulbul missing its neck feathers.

Dad was finishing off his breakfast when I got in. He had eaten all of his fried egg sandwich and papaya; I couldn't find the banana skin so I think he hid the banana, though I had not found it before I left on my mid-morning walk.

My friend Janice called just before I went on my mid-morning walk; it was great talking with her! I told her I would be up visiting in a week or so and would stop by to see her. Janice is a great resource person; she told me about Microsoft's Autism Hiring Program. They are having a week-long hiring event beginning on Monday; its too late for Kai to sign up for that one. But there will be another later in the year. She sent me an e-mail with all the info.


Janice also invited me to attend the Women of Resilience event she has organized; this month's speaker is June BlueSpruce, speaking on The Healing Power of Nature. Kinda right up my alley; I am going to see if I can fit it in. (My friend Eleta is speaking next month on Liberation from Fear.)

Lunch today was Pork yakisoba, Seasoned broccoli florets, Tossed salad, Fresh pineapple, and Potato chowder. Yakisoba is one of those meals that are difficult to make low carb by just not eating the carbs; there is so little to eat if you don't eat the carbs. I had not intended to, but I ate all of it. (I was talking with a visitor while I ate so I forgot about stopping.) Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich, about half a cup of pineapple, and a madeleine; he drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water.


I skipped the afternoon walk and concentrated on finding housing options for Kai and also talking to him about what type of help he wanted me to provide in a week when I am there. He is really stressing out about having to find new housing; he eats a lot of ice cream when he's stressed.

As I left Maunalani I came across some police action at the foot of the hill. I think someone on the bus had a medical emergency; the bus was dark and parked.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment