Saturday, August 17, 2019

Lots of Things Happened Yesterday

Yesterday there was so much going on I was so tired by the time things ended, I just showered and went to bed. Here's what happened yesterday. I started out with my usual sunrise walk. A pair of Kōlea were watching me from the rooftop as I finished the circle. Later during my walk I saw The 3 Fox Terrier Lady heading down Lurline and Ona & Rio. I also saw one of Miss Paula's cats. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken with Toto & Chico. Ken did not come in to hand-pollinate the night-blooming cereus, so I did it for him; there were a lot of them today.
Twenty-seven minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Fourteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Na Kōlea, six minutes before sunrise.
Miss Paulaʻs cat (#14).
Nine of the 10 Night-blooming Cereus this morning.

After my morning walk I met with Mark from Diamond Head Windows & Doors. We are having all the windows in Dad's house upgraded to Amerimax impact-resistant windows. We could have gone with a more basic window from Lowe's or Home Depot that would be 10 to 15% less costly than the Amerimax, but Diamond Head is having a buy one, get one free sale, so basically 50% off! It was a no-brainer! The big picture window in the living room will be a hurricane-resistant window. Most of the jalousie windows will be changed to sliders, some will become double-hung windows; the sliders in the bedrooms will be usable as egress windows in case of an emergency. All windows made are now double-glazed which, along with the E2 low emissivity glass, will help reduce overheating. The glass itself has a, "Titanium Dioxide layer that reacts with the sun to decompose organic materials on the glass. A Silicone Dioxide layer creates an ultra smooth surface and hydrophilic action to disperse water evenly or "sheet off"." So basically its a self-cleaning window!
Demonstration window piece.

I also talked to Mark and found out they would work with Chris to have him make the measurements at the Kohala house, then Diamond Head would have the windows manufactured, and have them shipped to the Big Island for Chris to install. I will have to wait for another buy one, get one free sale!

As soon as I was done talking with Mark, I headed out for my mid-morning walk. I didn't see any regulars during my walk.


I headed home to wait for the James from Haleakala Solar & Roofing to arrive at 1:30. About 1:40 I decided to check my e-mail to see if there was a message from James; there was. He had e-mailed about 10:30 to let me know that he was out sick and needed to reschedule to next week. But I'll be in Washington next week so that wasn't going to work. I immediately called Haleakala to see if they could send someone else out. I skipped my afternoon walk so I would be available immediately for a replacement estimator to arrive. About an an hour later I got a return call from Brian, he could come between 4 and 4:30. I let him know 4:30 was cutting it a little close for me since Brent & I needed to pick up our Coconut Chase 8k race packets by 6 pm. Brian showed up at 4 and finished by 5.

I was disappointed with Haleakala Solar. Besides having to wait 2 weeks to have someone come out to look at the house, Brian was not able to give me a firm answer about their ability to work with the type of metal roof that we have. He said I would need to give them a down payment to get the process started to get a designer to come out & look at the roof in about a month. At that time they would tell me whether they could do it; if they couldn't they would refund the money. He said they would not remove the metal panels and install an asphalt roof under the panels; and he was really negative that they could work with the metal roofing. I did stress to him that we wanted to have the work done in order to get the 30% Federal tax credit; he said that didn't really matter because there was a step-down to a 26% Federal tax credit once the 30% expired. I don't think he really got it that making us wait an additional month to find out they can't do it was not really a viable option. After Brian left, I called John & told him we would be there after we picked up our race packets.

We raced down to Running Room where we had picked up the packets for the Pineapple Run. And discovered that was the wrong place! We needed to be at Runners Route. We made our way over to Runners Route and found out they had a horrible parking problem. We ended up with me staying in the car in line waiting for a parking spot & Brent running out with my driver's license to pick up our packets; I figured since I was sitting still in the gridlock of the parking lot I really wouldn't be at risk of having to need my license on me. Our strategy worked well, Brent got back to the car just as the gridlock was breaking up so we left and went to see John.

I signed the papers, paid the $1250 down payment to lock it in; I put it on my Hawaiian Airmiles credit card. Then I paid the first 50% to get the design phase started; unfortunately that could not be put on the Hawaiian Airmiles card without incurring a 3% surcharge.

Since RevoluSun was in the same courtyard with The Highway Inn we decided to get dinner there. Aue! The line was out the door and there was so much more going on we couldn't see any place that we could get in to easily. So we decided to try the new Kuhio Grille, it is another location for the original one in Hilo. The serve great Hawaiian food!
(Photo by Brent)
(Photo by Brent)
(Photo by Brent)
Original Kuhio Grille Fried Rice Loco. (Photo by Brent)
Hawaiian Plate. (Photo by Brent)

We went to Pipeline for dessert. ʻNuff said! No photos because my phone was dead.

I think I have been doing my percent fat calculations wrong. I know when I was 90 pounds I was measured and found to have a 12% fat content. But, for some strange reason, I was calculating my
previous numbers based on being 12% at 100 pounds; I was getting numbers of currently being around 21% fat. When I corrected it to be based on 90 pounds, I am more like 29% fat!


A Belated Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Gwen, Michael, & Joyce!

No comments:

Post a Comment