Friday, August 2, 2019

Na Kōlea Are Back!

I saw a Kōlea today at the upper end of the park. It was not running around like they usually do; I think it may have just gotten back from Alaska & is still tired. You would be, too, if you spent 3 to 4 days flying 3000 miles without stopping! It's a little early, they usually show up later in August.


When I got up to Maunalani for my morning it was lightly drizzling, very cloudy, & very gusty. Since it was drizzling on & off I changed my walking route; I decided to do 3 laps around the circle so if it started pouring I wouldn't be too far from shelter. My normal walk averages 1.6 miles; my walk this morning was 1.54 miles. I didn't see any regulars during my walk but I did see Ona & Rio as well as LaVie during my cool down stretches.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Wai'alae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.

I headed to McKinley Car Wash when I was done with my walk. It was a great time to go! I drove right up to the vacuum station then right to the wash station. I was out in 13 minutes! While there I saw an poster for a drink based on kale. Perhaps the next time I take the Subaru in for a wash I will try one and report back on what it is like.
I've never been here when its been so deserted.
Kale soda?

After I returned I did the laundry then went for my mid-morning walk. Seeing the Kõlea was the only significant thing that happened during my walk. It was sunny but still a little gusty.


For lunch I started cleaning out the freezer. I had a Sweet Earth Functional Breakfast Burrito. It had kale in it. Why does everything have kale in it now? It still needed help to taste good; I used ketchup.


Curtis called me from Colorado; RN Eliana had called him but he couldn't hear everything she said because of the bad connection as they were going through the mountains. I called Eliana, Dad definitely has a urinary tract infection, they are treating it with Bactrim right now. Once the culture is completed they will know whether it is the same thing that Mr. Pires had; if so they will determine the best treatment.

Jean came by this afternoon to do the lawn; The Potential Most Favorite Roommate had sent him a message yesterday to see if he could also cut down the tallest papaya. Before they cut it down they lopped off the papayas; there were about 30 of them.
Catching papayas.
Making the back cut.
Making the cut.
Timber!
The trunk is hollow so we covered it to keep it from filling with water.

I went on-line and got a few recipes for Green Papaya Salad; I didn't have all the ingredients for any of them. But I did have enough of the key ingredients for the sauce which is the most important part. It tasted pretty good; I'll have to try it again with the rest of the ingredients.


Last night The Roommates were watching TV when I walked in to the room; Love Island was on. I generally don't watch TV and really don't care for reality shows, they're just plain weird. So I left. Tonight when I walked in to the room Love Island was on again; but this time it looked interesting. They had "babies" they were to take care of; it was hilarious! The "moms" were given a day off so the "dads" had to take care of the "babies". They decided to have a Dad-cathalon; the dads had to change a diaper, put the baby in the stroller, & do a lap around the pool. One of the babies fell out of the stroller and had scuffs on its head; one of the dads said if they were real babies they would be in jail!
She doesn't look too thrilled about this.
They look confused.
Start of the Dad-cathalon.
The stroller race around the pool.

Erick is now a Tropical Storm; its winds have dropped to 40 mph. It passed about 150 miles south of the Big Island at the closest; it dropped a lot of rain. It is continuing to move westerly.




Flossie has entered the Central Pacific as a Tropical Storm; it has winds of 65 mph. It is about 1000 miles easterly of Hilo and expected to get here on Monday or Tuesday.




I did a weigh-in this morning, the first in 2 weeks. I lost 1.5 pounds! My goal is 1/2 pound a week so I did better than my goal. Hopefully this is a result of the low carb diet kicking in and will continue.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Heavy, Susie, & Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment