Thursday, August 15, 2019

What a Morning!

It looked like it might try to drizzle on me as I started my morning walk but it held off and was pleasant all the way. As I finished the lap around the circle & started down Sierra I got a nice surprise; Omar was on his way up with Mei-mei & Rocco! It's been several months since I've seen them but they remembered me and were very happy to see me; it was great to hear that they are doing well. (Rocco is the one that took off running after another dog; so while Omar chased him I played with Mei-mei so she didn't also take off running.) I also saw The 2 Pug Lady and Lynnette down by the park. While Lynnette was walking by the White Cockatoo came flying overhead, it circled around then disappeared in to some large trees; it looked like it was somewhere on Matsonia. I noticed that Kelly has some work going on at his house, not sure if it is a new project or a continuation of one of the other projects; didn't see him today. Just as I started my cool down stretches Ona & Rio walked by, followed closely by Kavita; later Ken came by with Toto & Chico. I also saw some of the feral cats that Dr. Mike's wife takes care of. I also found a dead juvenile Red-vented Bulbul; those photos will  be at the end because some people might not appreciate them as much as a biologist does.
Ten minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Ten minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
L to R: Shy Cat (#1) and Sleepy Cat (#10).

I stopped to check out the hāpuʻu. The newest frond is unfurling; I hope it can handle the continuing high temperatures while I am gone. It's been in the 90's since mid-May, usually we only get those kind of temperatures for a couple of weeks in August.


Dad had breakfast in bed today. He ate all of his fried egg sandwich and banana; once again there was no papaya available. He drank 120 ml of cranberry juice and 120 ml water.

My mid-morning walk was interesting; it started out with a very light drizzle that lasted a few minutes. After that it would sprinkle for about 30 seconds or so then clear up for a few minutes; most of my 34 minute walk was under mainly cloudy skies. But it didn't matter much, I figured since I was still only walking around the circle due to the road work on Lurline, even if it rained, I would be near shelter all along the way. I saw Maisie & Daisy for the first time in about 6 months; Daisy is doing really well with the training that Maisie is giving her!
They have finished removing the existing asphalt on the upper part of Lurline.
Maisie & Daisy on their mid-morning walk.

Lunch today was Beef stew, Steamed rice, Garden salad, Tapioca pudding, and Cream of broccoli soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich, 2 tapioca pudding desserts, and a Magic Cup dessert. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 120 ml water. He also drank 120 ml water before lunch.


I skipped the afternoon walk; I concentrated on selecting the 1st batch of potential rooms I will make inquiries about for Kai. I currently have a list of 26 places that still pop up on Craig's List when I click on the URL; I'll click on them again tomorrow morning before I begin sending out inquiries. I will be requesting appointments beginning next Monday.

By the way, I found some sketchy postings when I was looking for housing for Kai. Like this one, "$300/1200 ft2 - female roommate wanted. Hi, I am a 30 year old male, I live in Lynnwood, nice apartment, 2 bed, 2 bath, washer/ dryer, big living room, just off 99, bus routes, parking. I am looking for a sweet female open minded to share it with." Most rooms that size are going for $600 to $1000 depending on location; why is it so cheap? Sketchy!

WARNING: Dear Red-vented Bulbul photos coming up. One may be disturbing to non-biologists. Here they come! The 1st one is not so bad, if you have read this blog for even a short length of time you will have seen similar photos; a flattened animal. The 2nd may be more disturbing, if shows the underside of this particular bird and some of its anatomy. You've been warned!
This is a normal flattened Red-vented Bulbul photo.
I turned it over and found all the organs had been eaten & you could clearly see its skeleton. I think it's cool!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Natalie! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #32 to Curtis & Lori!

No comments:

Post a Comment