Thursday, August 1, 2019

Dad Might Have a UTI

I talked to RN Sarah last night; she said Dad's RN Sierra had noticed that his urine smelled bad. Because of Mr. Pires' urinary tract infection infection, they wanted to err on the side of caution & have him tested; it is also possible that the odor is due to the fact that he did not drink much fluids yesterday. We should know around Friday morning what the cause is. In the meanwhile, we will be pushing fluids and making sure he drinks cranberry juice at least once a day.


It was very windy during my morning walk and my cool down stretches. Other than that it was unremarkable and there was no precipitation. I saw Ronnie picking up their morning paper as I walked past and I saw Wendy & Victor as they were pulling out of their driveway. During my cool down stretches I saw Ona & Rio and Lori with her Dog Pack. There were way fewer birds during both parts of my morning; the heavy wind kept them from flying around much.
Twenty-four minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.


The graphic below shows the extent of winds 39 mph or more and the approximate time they are expected at that location. The winds I am experiencing are way less than 39 mph but are higher than normal; this could be affected by Hurricane Erick.


Here is the latest forecast cone for Hurricane Erick which has now been downgraded to a Tropical Storm. This shows the most likely middle of the path (black line) that the center of the cyclone will take along with the probable deviations within the cone. The width of the storm is better represented by the graphic above showing the extent of winds of at least 39 mph.


By the way, I have not totally figured out the National Hurricane Center graphics archives. I can definitely get prior graphics for 2019. I am still figuring out how far back I can go to see if I can get the static graphics for earlier posts I have made which included hurricane graphics.

Dad was in bed waiting for his breakfast when I arrived. He ate all of his fried egg sandwich and papaya but saved his banana for later. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water.

My mid-morning walk was also very windy though it was sunnier. I didn't see any regulars during my walk but I did see 3 Manu-o-Kū flying overhead when I was near the park; I think these are the ones that are coming from Palolo Valley. During my cool down stretches I saw another Manu-o-Kū; it flew over the parking lot & headed up towards the trees at the top of Maunalani Circle. I lost sight of it when it went over the large tree near the entrance to the upper parking lot; it appeared to be headed to the tree by Toshi's house.



Lunch today was Meat jun, Steamed rice, Steamed corn, Tossed salad, Brownie, and Chicken jook; I skipped the rice, corn, & jook. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 brownies; he also ate the banana from breakfast. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.


A couple of days ago they did a blood draw to check on Dad's potassium level; during the Care Conference we had discussed taking him off the supplements if his diet was able to provide him with enough potassium. The results came back this afternoon. Dad has 3.6 mmol/L, the normal range is 3.3 to 5.0 millimoles per liter; levels below 2.5 mmol/L are considered a serious health threat. They will contact Dr. Greis to discuss taking him off the potassium pills for now; he will still get the regular quarterly blood draw to monitor his levels.

I skipped the afternoon walk so I could get Dad ready to go to Chin's drumming session. I was also able to help CNA Angie with getting his proper weight. He's now 140.4#.


When I got home The Roommates and I tidied up the yard, moving potential projectiles in to the shed or he garage in preparation for Hurricane season.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Sarah & Ariel!

No comments:

Post a Comment