Saturday, August 31, 2019

In Our Shoes

The big event today was Eleta's celebration of Kwanzaa; she does it throughout the year to help her remember the 7 principles.  This time she asked us to first go to Lake Burien Presbyterian Church to view the exhibit, In Our Shoes. In July, 31 members of the church went on a week-long pilgrimage called, "The Gospel & Politics of Race" to learn about the enslavement of Africans & its legacy of racism in the U. S. that we face today. It was such a moving experience they came back and created this excellent exhibit in just a few weeks! It is on view on Saturdays from 10 am to 5 pm through the end of October.
L to R: Robin & Janice head in to the exhibit.















We went to Eleta's house after viewing the exhibit and celebrated Umoja, the first of the principles of Kwanzaa. We also shared a potluck meal.



I started the day with another massage from Lorena. My shoulder has been feeling much better since she worked on it last week. Today it felt even better! I really need to find someone and start getting regular massages again.



I picked Kai up after my massage; we went to Café Makario again. This time Kai tried the Dutch Latte; I had my usual Matcha Latte but this time I had it with coconut milk.



Because we were going to have a long drive to Burien, I went to the bathroom before we left. All the storefronts in this building have a central bathroom for employees and patrons; it was a maze getting there. Getting back involved following the signs in reverse; but they didn't have a sign on their door unlike the Midnight Grocery. I recognized their door by the bench sitting nearby.








We ended the evening by meeting with Ian again; I set up to pay Kai's rent through an electronic funds transfer from my financial institution to his financial institution. But before we did that Ian had to drive a potential roommate back up to his current residence; so I had time to talk to Brianna more. I found out her birthday and Kai's are 1 day apart! And they both like video games and movies. Which makes Ian very happy since he is not really a movie buff.

While we were running around yesterday, I picked up a box of Epic meat bars. I have found that all meat bars are not created equal; some have a lot more carbs than others. It appears to be coming from whatever is used to flavor the meat bar; like cranberries and honey. This venison bar is just sea salt & pepper so it only has 2 grams of carbs; it also has 12 g of protein and 3 g of fat. And I like the taste. Sadly, I have only seen it at Target; I shall have to look at Amazon and see if I can get it for around the same price or better (~$1.60/bar). I could use it as a substitute meal on the days when it is difficult to cut out the carbs from the Maunalani lunch.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Aunty Jeannie & Lillian!

No comments:

Post a Comment