Sunday, August 4, 2019

Calm Before the Storm?

This morning it was muggy and the winds had died down to an occasional breeze. But it was still pleasant. As I was walking I saw LaVie further down the hill getting on TheBus; later I saw Calvin the Recycler as he was heading up to the park. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken and the early-rising dogs. A short while later Lorraine arrived with more pikake blossoms! I also saw her a bit later down on the bottom of Lurline; she was wearing a bright orange shirt so I knew it was her even from that distance!
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Wai'alae.
Four minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fourteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.


During my cool down stretches this morning I saw the Kõlea that claims the grassy hill above the upper parking lot as its winter territory! It was a little perkier than the one I saw on Friday in the forested area at the park


Dad was eating breakfast in bed when I arrived. He ate 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich and all the papaya; he saved the banana for later. He drank 120 ml of cranberry juice and 60 ml of water.

The mid-morning walk was a little hotter than the sunrise walk but it was still a good walk. For me being able to walk around is very helpful to both my physical as well as mental health.


Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Stir fry vegetable blend, Tossed salad, Caramel cheesecake, and Garden vegetable soup. My tray did come with salad dressing but I didn't notice I had not put it in the photo until later. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 caramel cheesecakes. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water.


Dad's culture results came back today. Good news! He has an E. coli infection that is non-resistant; the Bactrim he is being given should take care of it. This means Dad did not contract what Mr. Pires had, which is a relief.

I forgot to mention yesterday that as I was coming in from my morning walk, Mr. Shinagawa was being wheeled out on a gurney to the waiting ambulance. I hope it is nothing really serious, I did not hear any sirens coming up the hill as I was walking so I think the staff just called for an ambulance to transport him rather than him having a medical emergency. I have not seen him today; I hope it is nothing too bad.

I skipped the afternoon walk to stick around and convince Dad to take his shower. It was fairly easy today to convince him to take a shower.

Flossie has been downgraded to a tropical depression with sustained winds at 35 mph. It is about 350 miles east of Hilo, moving westerly at about 13 mph. It is expected to reach us on Monday night. Stay tuned!


Winds from Flossie could cause some impact here; the current predicted footprint shows we will have a 5 to 10% chance of having winds of 39 mph. (Sustained winds are 35 mph higher gusts.) It's a good thing The Roommates and I cleaned up most of the things around the yard prior to Tropical Storm Erick passing by. The only things we need to move when high winds are expected are the starts & other plants in the cat run and the hoses & sprinklers for the lawns.

The plants in the cat run.


While checking on the plants in the cat run today, I noticed that the baby hāpuʻu has a new frond coming up! I will have to put something in the photo for scale.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mark, Sego, Hendra, & Jessica!

No comments:

Post a Comment