Monday, August 26, 2019

Katana Sushi

For lunch we were going to meet Bruce & Monava at Janbo Cafe. We got there first and discovered they are closed on Mondays! Kai suggested Katana Sushi so we ended up there. Bruce got the Katana Bento, Monava got the Kitchen Bento, Murphy (their grandson) got the Chicken Katsu, Kai got a Volcano Roll and Unagi Nigiri, and I got the Sashimi Salad. Everything was excellent! And they let us sit and talk for an hour or so after we had finished eating. I would go back to this restaurant.

Bruce & Toby.

Katana Bento.
Kitchen Bento.
Chicken Katsu.
Volcano Roll & Unagi Nigiri. (Photo by Kai)
Sashimi Salad.
Ginger Beer.

We started out the day by going to Kaiʻs storage; we put an old monitor and chair in. I also changed the payment on the unit to my Hawaiian Airmiles credit card rather than just coming out of my local credit union account; might as well get some miles for that monthly payment

Because it was still early for lunch we went to Cafe Makario to kill some time. Kai decided to do their top 10 coffees in order; today it was the Ethiopia Hadeso. I had the Matcha Latte again.
L: Ethiopia Hadeso; R: Matcha Latte.

After lunch we picked up the van; the problem with the rear lights was that there were 5 bulbs that burnt out! The funny noise could not be easily located; it will take an oil pressure test on start up which is about $500.

When we dropped off the van I did some birding while I waited for Kai to arrive; he was talking to Travis after I paid so I left while they talked. A Golden-Crowned Kinglet flew down and perched in the bamboo, watching me. Later a dove flew in to the Madrona and perched above me. As I moved around to take a good photo to help with identification, I spotted a Red-breasted Nuthatch & tried to take a good photo of it.
Golden-crowned Kinglet hiding in the bamboo.
Red-breasted Nuthatch in its typical pose.
Woodpecker nesting box for the flickers & woodpeckers.

We took the Subaru shopping so that we could just load Kai's new items in it and not have to transfer between vehicles. We went to Office Depot first to pick up a chair floor mat and shredder. Then we went to Target to get a set of towels and a small vacuum cleaner.
Wooden chair mats.
Desk-top shredder.
I was very surprised he wanted this, but if it will help keep his room clean ...

As we were leaving Target someone walked past Kai and said, "Hi, Kai!" but he didn't know who it was. Then she came up to me. It was Misty! And her daughter Ava! They were the first friends who came to visit me after I had moved! Ava is now taller than I am and very much in to horses; she just finished a week at Horse Camp. I told her I would take her horseback riding when she comes to visit me on the Big Island.

Since we still had time, we also went to Trader Joe's so I could pick up omiyage and some food for Kai to take to his new place.

After doing all that it was time to head to the Bala's house for dinner. Kai used to do the computer maintenance work at their restaurant and house. Since they have retired he now only works on their home computer system. Mrs. Bala made 2 types of curry (chicken and goat), 2 breads (naan and papadum) and vegetarian samosas. Everything was great! Towards the end of dinner we found out that they also know Janice! Small world! We sent her a selfie that Kai took; he had the longest arms so he could more easily get us in to the photo.



Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #29 to Lorna & Darrell! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #12 to Kyle & Valerie!

No comments:

Post a Comment