Monday, November 18, 2019

Bromeliads

I had noticed a bag of green bromeliads sitting by rubbish can near the main door yesterday; they were still there this morning. So I asked Dan about them; they are going to be added to the landscape around here. But it turns out they are from Dan's yard! He asked if I would be at "work" tomorrow, he is going to bring some in for me. I think they will do well outside the wall. They are low enough they won't block the site distance and once established are somewhat drought tolerant.


On my drive up I passed LaVie as she was walking up Wilhelmina Rise just above the 1st intersection with Sierra. I also saw Ona & Rio walking with another person. Just before I turned in to the parking lot I passed Wolf on one of his laps around the circle. During my walk I saw Ona & Rio again, she was with her friend Wendy who is visiting for a few weeks; I had met Wendy on her previous visit last year. I saw LaVie, she had made it up Wilhelmina and was now on Sierra, heading for the circle. I saw Loy in the distance making his way up Wilhelmina to the bus stop; I also saw Calvin the Recycler on that portion of the hill, too. By the park I passed Lynnette & June; I saw them later as they were on their way down Lurline. I didn't see any regulars during my cool down stretches.
Twenty minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was eating breakfast in the Orchid Dining Room; he was sharing a table with Mr. Miyahira. Dad ate half his fried egg sandwich and all his papaya and banana. He drank 120 ml orange juice but no water.


My mid-morning walk was very quiet; I saw no regulars. I did see a live centipede; it was about 6 inches long. I also saw more helicopters flying by; but today it was only 3 Chinooks. Loa from the laundry service drove by near the end of my walk and waved! I saw him later in the parking lot.




When I passed Suzette's house I saw that she had finished pruning the 2 other Song of India shrubs in front of her land lady's windows.
 
Lunch today was Oriental shoyu chicken, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Garden salad, Peanut butter bar, and Tomato red pepper bisque soup. The chicken had more carbs than I expected, 21 g; so  I skipped the soup, it had 16 g carbs. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich but only 3/4 of the peanut butter bar; its not sweet enough for him. He drank 120 ml apple juice and 60 ml water.


Since I got to more than half my carb limit with the main entree for lunch I decided to start noting how many carbs the main entree has on the copies of menus that I have. That way, if something has a lot carbs, I can skip the lunch and just eat a meat bar instead. Of course, this means I need to check what's for lunch each morning before I leave my bedroom; I already had the menus taped to the back of my door so I can see what's for lunch. I just recently crossed out the ones that I knew were high carb that I could not selectively eat around the carbs, like Pork yakisoba. I left things like the cheeseburger on the list because I can just remove the bun & eat the rest.


Currently the new windows are scheduled to be installed on December 2nd & 3rd. The dates might change based on when the next phases of the solar panel installation are scheduled. In the meanwhile, we are proceeding as if the 2nd is the start date; we are moving things away from the windows. Last night I moved things away from the sliding glass door. Tonight I worked on moving things away from the dining room window. I ran the Roomba i7+ in the dining room to clean up all the stuff that had collected under the carts that were against the window wall.
Family room.
Dining room before; there was another pile to the right.
Dining room window after.
The i7+ at work.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Jim, Diane, Susan, Lori, & Jeff!

No comments:

Post a Comment