Monday, November 11, 2019

Forgot My Sunglasses

I forgot my sunglasses and it was very sunny today. So there was only one walk today, the sunrise walk. My eye doctor wants me to wear sunglasses when I'm out in the sun because I have cataracts starting in both eyes. I found out about the one in the left eye around 2013 when I noticed that in dim light things were slightly dimmer on that side. The one in the right eye was diagnosed in 2017. Considering the amount of time I spent outdoors in the sun and on the water, it is surprising to me that they are not worse! The sunglasses will minimize further damage but will do nothing to stop or slow deterioration from previous damage.
My sunglasses had fallen outside of the key can so I did not feel them this morning; they are now on my keys.

During my drive up I saw Calvin the Recycler at the lower end of the park and Ona & Rio on Lurline by the Lanipoko house. During my walk I saw Ona & Rio again and now she had a giant avocado that she found on the side of the road! I passed Lorraine by the park and she asked me about a bird she heard; I played a You Tube clip & we determined that it was a White-rumped Shama. Later I saw her on Lurline; she had run in to Ona a couple blocks after she saw me and Ona had heard a shama, too! I told her that I heard a shama singing near Matsonia which was about a block further down the road from where we were. While I was talking to Lorraine by the park Lynnette & June walked by; I saw them later on Lurline, before I saw Lorraine again. I saw LaVie on her way up by the park, then later on Lurline; she was talking with Suzanne & Diane who were out with Cody & Rollie, Joanne was not with them today. I saw Kelly in the distance as he was finishing off his walk with Abby. Towards the end of my walk I saw Ken with Toto & Chico. And the talk turned to cataracts because of my forgotten sunglasses!
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twelve minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I think I am going to be a grumpy patient as my cataracts get worse. I already find it annoying when I can't see smaller identification characteristics on birds at a distance. From what I hear, the cataracts need to be fairly bad before they will do surgery on them; my friend John said it was like looking through vaseline on your glasses! Ken has been told he will have to wait until he is 70 to have his removed; I didn't ask how bad his are now or why 70 is the magic number.

Dad was in the Orchid Dining Room having breakfast with Mr. Miyahira. Dad ate half his fried egg sandwich and all his papaya & banana. He drank 120 ml orange juice but no water. Later he went out to sit on the lanaʻi with some other residents under CNA Philip's care.


Lunch today was Seafood pasta primavera, Succotash, Garlic bread, Tossed salad, Peach cream cake, and French onion soup. There was no garlic bread on my plate; but that's okay since I wasn't going to eat it any way. And there were no onions in my French onion soup; that's not okay since I like lots of onions in my French onion soup! Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 1&1/2 desserts. He drank 120 ml orange juice and 100 ml water.


Today was ukulele day; Lynn & her friend Myra come to play ukulele and sing with Gloria. Dad likes to go to watch and sing with them. Usually Curtis takes Dad upstairs but since he is in Las Vegas, I did it. I left shortly after he was happily listening to them.

On the news tonight I saw the weather forecast for the continental US. It showed much of the continent on its way to becoming a giant ice cube. I texted Tomiko to stay safe as she made her way home. She was stuck in the Denver airport because of a delayed flight. She sent me screen shot of what's predicted for Madison.

My Fitbit appears to be dead. It was acting really strange last night, the alarm to let me know it was time to leave the house for my sunrise walk kept going off. Even when I had turned it off! Then my phone could not detect the Fitbit to get it to synchronize the time so the alarm would not be going off in the middle of the night. It was dead by this morning. I tried to charge it today but nothing happened. I will try again later to see if giving it a rest helps. It seemed to help the last time.
It appears to be dead. There are no lights flashing or anything.

I have been thinking more about exactly why I would need to replace the Fitbit monitor. When I first got it 2 years or so ago, I was needing to get more exercise. The hourly reminder was great for that. As I began walking regularly it was fun to see how many flights of stairs it said I had climbed the equivalent of with all the hills on my walking route. During the last year I began using the stopwatch function to make sure I hold my stretches for a minute to get a nice long stretch. Right now the 1 minute stretch is the only thing I really use it for. However, I do continue to use parts of the app on my phone; specifically the weight and % body fat graphing function. But it appears I can do that even if the Fitbit monitor itself is dead. So I think I will not replace the Fitbit monitor; I'll just use the app. And my phone can do the rest of the monitoring for number of steps & my route.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Chavie!

No comments:

Post a Comment