Sunday, November 17, 2019

O'ahu Seabird Aid Program Begins

I got back so late yesterday, I was too tired to post; so you're seeing it this on Sunday instead. The biggest news from yesterday was that the staff for the O'ahu Seabird Aid Program (OSA) arrived. Sam came in 1st; I met her just before lunch. Sam is volunteering for a few days; Alexis will be managing the program for the duration. Sam and I went to lunch at Vegan Hills to catch up on what's been happening with her since she was here for the 2017 OSA. I originally met Sam in July 2017 when she gave me the orientation for the Wheels for Wildlife Program; they were also releasing an 'Io that had been successfully rehabilitated!
Tomato Bisque and Focaccia.
Do the Brussel with avocado.

We saw a couple of interesting things around lunch time. The first was the parking ticket machine; we noticed all the ticket machines were wrapped up like this. The second was the urinal in the Inclusive bathroom. At first glance it appears that it daylights to the floor drain! Upon closer inspection, it does actually get routed out of the bathroom in appropriate plumbing. Whew!
They all worked, they just looked funny.
I had to look twice to make sure it was hooked up to the plumbing!

Since The Person Who Shall Remain Unnamed totaled the Hawaii Wildlife Center van a couple months ago, a vehicle was needed for the OSA; I am loaning them my car. Alexis came in later; Sam picked her up, which made it easier for me to get to Curtis' house to join him & Lori at a dinner that our financial advisor Harold was hosting for his long-time clients. Dinner was at Roy's in Koʻolina. It became apparent during the introductions that I was there mainly because I knew Curtis! Everyone else had been with Harold 8 to 10 years or more! This was also the 2nd one that they held, the 1st was on the east side for long-time clients on that side of the island; technically I should have been at that dinner, if at all. Lori had the 13/15 Shrimp Scampi and Curtis and I had the Macadamia Nut Crusted Island Whitefish & Short Rib Combo. I may have exceeded my carb allotment because I couldn't quite get an exact match on some of the food items; I will find out tomorrow!
Sunset at Koʻolina.
Curtis & Lori walking up to Roy's.

My appetizer plate, clockwise spiral from top: Edamame, Mongolian BBQ Spiced Baby Back Rib, Hot Iron Seared Shrimp Stick, Blackened Rare Island Ahi, Spicy Ahi Maki, Petite Crab Cake, and Chinatown Chicken Mini Spring Roll.
Don't eat these! They're mini towels to wipe off the BBQ sauce!
Appetizer plate: After.
Waipoli Baby Romaine Caesar Salad. The anchovy is to the right of the greens.
Macadamia Nut Crusted Island Whitefish & Short Rib Combo; the fish is swordfish.
Lilikoi Panna Cotta. Carb Manager said this was only 17 g carbs; I was at 23 g, I ate it. 😋

During the drive up yesterday morning I passed Laure as she and Champ & Molly were starting down Sierra; I saw them later during my walk as they were returning home. I saw The Motorcycle Guy's mountain bike parked at the trail head but I did not see him coasting down the hill. Roger was back from his trip; he was walking Cody & Rollie by the park. I saw LaVie & Calvin the Recycler by the park as well. I also saw Lorraine by the park, she turned around & walked with me for most of the rest of my walk. We also saw Loy walking up Wilhelmina to the bus stop by the park. Later on Lurline we saw April & Dexter, there was a guy with them but I have blanked on his name almost immediately, which is very unusual for me. Earlier Lorraine had said she would miss running in to Yan & Lucky since she was reversing her route to walk with me, but we ran in to them as they turned on to Lurline from Matsonia! At the top of Lurline we saw Suzette, she looked like she had already started her yard work. Lorraine & I split up shortly after that; she went down Sierra while I returned to the parking lot. On my way there I saw Mike & Marley; I had not seen them for a couple of months.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
The Motorcycle Guyʻs mountain bike at the trail head.

The morning sky was spectacular yesterday! I took a lot of reference photos but they just don't do justice to the colors the early morning sunlight was casting on the clouds. I need to get my butt in gear and put my watercolor kit together; I've got the pieces to make a compact kit that I can throw in my backpack so that I always have something with me so I can do quick watercolor sketches.





There was also a very interesting cloud formation.


I also saw the yard work that Suzette said she completed the other day. She shortened one of the Song of India shrubs that stands in front of her land lady's windows. She plans on working on the other 2 over her weekend off.


I didn't see any regulars during my cool down stretches, but I did see an interesting license plate. Normally I black out license plates that are readable in my photos in order to provide a level of anonymity to the owners. But I think this person wants people to know about this aspect of their life.


Since it was Saturday, there is no one on the administration floor so I need to use one of the 3rd floor bathrooms to wash up and change. Gloria from Housekeeping let me know that the key fobs had been changed; it was a good thing she did, they are so different it would have taken me a little bit to notice the new fobs! They are not as easy to hang on the door knob as the old ones, but it is clearer which key is for which bathroom. 


Dad was having breakfast in the Orchid Dining Room with Mrs. Pang & Mr. Kaneshiro. Dad ate half of his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya & banana. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice & coffee but no water.

Dad went back to bed after breakfast; while they were giving him his vitamins and eye drops I noticed that there was a large flock of Yellow-fronted Canaries outside his window making a lot of noise. I also saw an interesting reflection of a reflection in the window! I left shortly after Dad fell asleep. Before I left I noticed that Chris, Dad's roommate's partner, has been sleeping over at Maunalani.



A closer view of the Urn Plant inflorescence.

I skipped the mid-morning walk; I needed to prep the Subaru for Sam & Alexis. I transferred all my things from the Subaru over to the RAV4.
Subaru before.
Subaru after.
RAV4 before.
RAV4 after.

While doing that I discovered some things being stored in the garage by The Potential Most Favorite Roommate; these are the types of things you might find if your roommate also does hair.



After transferring all my things over to the RAV4, I took it to McKinley Car Wash to get it washed and waxed; it looked almost brand new!



Differently-abled ʻEhakō looking for food.

I also filled it up. This was at a gas station I don't normally use. I don't recall ever having seen this option before.
Like Coke Classic?

I headed to the airport to pick Sam up. While getting on to the freeway I saw this. I am in awe of how these bottles stayed on the back of the truck!



Kai's birthday was on Tuesday, Mary Ellen treated him to an evening at Piroshky & Crepes. Here he is looking like a modern Rasputin while enjoying his meal. (It looks like a potato & mushroom piroshky, but I don't think so; mushrooms are not a favorite of his.)
That's definitely a banana & nutella crepe, not sure about the rest. (Photo by Mary Ellen)

Hauʻoli lā Hānau #3 to my grandniece Kaia! And Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Ken & Lopaka! It's Ken's real birthday today; he is now officially old!

No comments:

Post a Comment