Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Uber for Wildlife

I got a text from Patrick after breakfast, a wedge-tailed shearwater needed a ride to Feather & Fur this morning. I called Alex, the bird was in his boss' yard in Kahala; it was about 15 minutes from Maunalani. We made arrangements to meet for the pick-up. It turned out to be a half-grown chick, still covered in down except for on its wings. It was unhurt but I'm not sure where its burrow might have been since the area where it was found has mainly rocky shoreline; it was about 1 foot off the sidewalk & easy prey for cats, dogs, & rats. I had to skip my mid-morning walk but I was able to do the transport & be back before lunch service ended; I was a little later than I thought I would be due to unexpected traffic.


It was a beautiful sunrise! Amazing colors! During my sunrise walk I saw Suzanne with Cody & Rollie up on the circle; her sister Joanne was helping her with them. I found out Cody & Rollie are half Great Pyrenees which is why they are bigger than the average Golden Retriever. I walked with them around the circle then headed down to complete the rest of my route; I saw them again as they went back home. While we were on the circle we saw the Intrepid Kupuna twice, he warned us that one of the parking strips had been sprayed with Roundup just yesterday. I also saw Lynnette & June and Lorraine twice this morning! I only saw LaVie once as she headed up Sierra. I didn't see any regulars during my cool down stretches.
Twenty minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Ten minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.

When I do my cool down stretches I use the garbage can at the covered viewpoint to help with my hamstring & quad stretches so that I can bird more easily. I face the can & prop my heel on the lip of the can for my hamstring stretches. For my quad stretches I face away from the can and prop my toe on the lip; I have to work harder on my balance when I do the quad stretches. I also have to work harder when its gusty. How long you can balance on one leg is supposed to indicate how healthy you are. I tested how long I can balance on one leg; with my eyes open I got to 74 seconds before I started to get a cramp in my leg. Then I tried the eyes closed and got to 12 seconds before my leg started to cramp again. If you're going to try this I suggest doing the eyes closed first. I will try again tomorrow night to see how long I can really do the eyes closed test.


Dad was eating breakfast in the Orchid Dining room; Mr. Kam joined him later. Dad ate 1/2 his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya & banana. He drank 120 ml orange juice but no water.


Dad has no roommate right now; it was very quiet today.


Lunch today was Shepherd's pie, Seasoned broccoli florets, Tossed salad, Ambrosia, and Chicken & wild rice soup. Dad ate half his 1/2 peanut butter and banana sandwich and half a dessert. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.


Because I missed my mid-morning walk, I really wanted to do the afternoon walk. But I also needed to pick up lei for tomorrow's visit to Puowaina with Tomiko; we planned it a few days ago. Per Tomiko's request, I got a white ginger for Uncle Orv; I got a purple orchid for Mom since purple was her favorite color. I also got a couple of lei for Tomiko & David since I was picking them up at the airport.


Hauʻoli lā Ho'omana'o #15 to Chris & Jason!

No comments:

Post a Comment