Thursday, November 14, 2019

Urn Plant

I took a closer look at the bromeliads that were planted yesterday; there are 5 of them, one with a flower stalk. I believe these are Aechmea blanchetiana, the Urn Plant, but I am not 100% sure; since they aren't as flashy as other varieties there are not very many photos on the Internet about it. I thought may be they had moved some of the ones that are near the main entrance, but those are all still there. So they either bought them or someone donated them or they were transplanted from another part of the grounds. Three of them have young plants growing at their base.


During my drive up this morning I saw The Runner and Paul & Bodhi on their way up Sierra, I passed Calvin the Recycler as he started his search for cans, and I saw Mary as she was finishing her walk. During my walk I saw The 2 Pug Lady at the park, I had not seen her for a while. I also saw Lynnette & June at the park, then later on Lurline as they headed home. I also saw Loy on Lurline in the distance, later I saw Kavita & LaVie in the distance on Sierra. But during my cool down stretches I only saw Kavita; LaVie probably got on TheBus and headed down to the bottom of Wilhelmina and did not get back up to the top before I finished my cool down.
Twenty-four minutes to sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Four minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was in bed eating breakfast, but it was not his usual breakfast. Instead of a fried egg sandwich on wheat toast he had scrambled eggs on a biscuit; he had not touched it at all, though he had eaten all the papaya. By the end of breakfast he still did not feel like eating it but he drank 240 ml cranberry juice but no water. He said he wanted to save the banana for later.


I skipped the mid-morning walk; Mr. Wise was scheduled to have a physical therapy evaluation. I wanted to be there just in case he got agitated with all the activity in the room like he did when Mr. Pires was being evaluated. PT Jason came right about the time I would have left for my walk, he stayed about an hour. Dad slept through most of it; when he woke up he did fine. Jason & the PT staff will be working with Mr. Wise to get him back on his feet; he has 13 stairs he needs to be able to negotiate to get in to his house. Mr. Wise's partner Chris said they are anticipating he will be here for 2 weeks of PT.

Maunalani received a bunch of letters from 3rd graders at Lunalilo Elementary School students who had read the article about the veterans. They posted them in the hallway for the residents to enjoy.


Lunch today was Meat jun, Steamed rice, Steamed corn, Tossed salad, Brownie, & Chicken jook. I skipped the jook since it is basically rice soup so full of carbs. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 brownies; he also ate the banana he saved from breakfast. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.


I skipped the afternoon walk also; though I really should have done the walk. On Thursdays Dad goes to watch Chin perform with her Korean taiko-style drum. I waited for the CNAs to get him in to his chair and took him upstairs before I left.

After I got home Mrs. Loi brought over a bunch of tangerines from their tree. Did you know that each tangerine has 22 g of carbs? I ate one slice just to see what they taste like.


Our 442 book arrived today! The Go For Broke Spirit: Portraits of Legacy came with bookmarks celebrating Fred Korematsu. I read Shane's write-up regarding Dad; he did a good job blending Dad's experience with artwork and the experience of interned Japanese-Americans and Japanese-American artists.


I made Pizza Topping Casserole for dinner tonight. The recipe allows for a lot of variation. When I made it the last time I used Italian sausage; this time I used a plant-based chorizo style meat substitute. I also used basil pesto. I think the pesto made the casserole too moist; I think I'll try sun-dried tomatoes next time.


Casserole before baking.
Casserole after baking, itʻs a little soupy.

I have been alternating the Pizza Topping Casserole with the Fathead Pizza. These are low-carb recipes. I am looking for a couple more low-carb dinner recipes to alternate with them for a little more variety.

During my sunrise walk I saw Sleepy Cat hiding behind the wrought iron gate at Dr. Lothar's and Shy Cat out in front of the garage. Later I saw Gizmo walking down the driveway of the house next to his but he was too far away for me to get a good photo.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Cindy, Mim, & Vener! I have apparently never wished Ken a Happy Birthday before; I did this morning. He texted back that I was a couple days early; sometimes, for some unknown reason, my phone changes the date of someone's birthday. On a positive note, my older phones did it much more frequently than the newer phones. I think it may have had something to do with the way data had to be transferred between my earlier phones; sometimes it was corrupted. Occasionally I would lose entire people from my Contacts list.

No comments:

Post a Comment