Friday, November 1, 2019

Post-Halloween Ketogenesis

My Halloween 141 g carb binge seemed to affect my body's ability to maintain ketogenesis. (That's 282% of the level of carbs I am trying to limit my consumption to!) As usual, I was at trace levels of ketone bodies when I woke up. The level did not rise above trace even after my sunrise and mid-morning walks. It went up a little just before lunch (about 2 hours after my mid-morning walk). Even in the afternoon it did not go above 15 mg/dL as it had previously when I was much better about keeping my carbs around 50 g or less. The encouraging thing is that I did burn enough fat to at least give me a "trace" reading. At least, I think that's encouraging. I wonder what my level would be if I ate all the carbs I wanted? That's an experiment for another time. For now the next experiment I want to conduct is testing every hour to see if I can detect how long after I exercise the metabolites show up in my urine in enough volume to change the level of the reading.
5:43 am, 5 mg/dL; shortly after waking.
7:57 am, 5 mg/dL; after sunrise walk.
9:22 am, 5 mg/dL; before mid-morning walk.
10:57 am, 5 mg/dL; after mid-morning walk.
12:26 pm, 15 mg/dL; before lunch.
3:05 pm, 5 mg/dL; before afternoon walk.
6:14 pm, 15 mg/dL; after afternoon walk.
9:19 pm, 5 mg/dL; before bed time.

During my drive up I saw Paul & Bodhi and Calvin the Recycler  heading up Sierra. During my sunrise walk I saw Lynnette & June by the park, then later as they headed down Lurline. LaVie's landlord Kevin was out walking Tazzie & Kila this morning by the park. After they passed me, I saw LaVie headed up Wilhelmina Rise; I later saw her completing a lap around the circle. Just before my walk ended I saw Ona & Rio; she said she got a late start and almost didn't make it out this morning. During my cool down stretches I saw Lorraine and Ken with Toto & Chico.
Twenty-one minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Eleven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Six minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I saw more Halloween decorations that people put out last night.




When I returned I did my 2 weeks worth of laundry, I can't remember why I didn't do it last week. I had washed my Omni-Freeze shirt, too. But instead of hanging it out to dry, I wore it. I have found it better to wet it and wear it slightly wet. So that's what I did, I wore it wet for my mid-morning walk. The temperature was already in the high 80's when I left the house.


During my mid-morning walk I saw Raymond with Koa & Kuma out in front. Rob & Lily walked by a short while later. I later saw LaVie with Tazzie & Kila.


For lunch I had a lighter variation on my dinner last night; only 11 g carbs versus 56 g last night! And that's without the mango pie, with the pie I had 124 g carbs for dinner last night! Aue! I think if I know I am going to have a carb-heavy meal I should skip the cranberry juice in the morning.


I started my afternoon walk later than I usually do in order to finish up and leave in time to get to Kokua Market just as they were ready to start their dinner service. Because I was walking later I ran in to Suzette on the circle; we walked down to the park together. On our way there we crossed paths with Ona & Rio who were headed up Sierra.


I had another dinner from Kokua Market this evening. I have decided to try every main meal they have, tonight I tried the Beef Liver Steak. I'm not a fan of most liver dishes; this did not change my mind about liver. I think it was overcooked, it was really tough. I met Fran who was also waiting for a dinner, she had the Veggie Eggplant Moussaka which is listed as an appetizer; it looked and smelled great!


S'mores outdid her previous day's worth of eating, yesterday she ate for 26 minutes! Luna ate for a reasonable 11 minutes; less than she ate the day before. Today is the last day of the AutoDiet Wizard data collection period. Tomorrow the Wireless Whiskers will be in its actual control mode where the doors of the feeder will close when a cat that has reached it allowed limit of feeding time tries to eat more food. I will suggest to The Roommates that they leave Luna at whatever time the Wireless Wizard allots for her, then see how she looks after a month at that level. I will suggest they cut S'mores back to 1 minute less than whatever level Luna is at and also watch her for a month before deciding whether they need to readjust the feeding time allowed.



I saw Koa & Kuma's buddy Shiro this morning, he was lounging around just outside their gate.


No comments:

Post a Comment