Saturday, November 9, 2019

Fifteen Minutes Plus

Mr. Ikuma is getting more than 15 minutes of fame; he's on the front page of today's newspaper! During yesterday's Veterans Celebration Mr. Ikuma received special recognition because he turned 100 earlier this year. He is the oldest veteran at Maunalani. The above-the-fold photo in the newspaper featured Mr. Ikuma. Yesterday, while watching the slide show of the veterans, I added up their years of service; if I did the math right, for the 22 who are still with us it was 203 years! For the 10 who passed away during the previous year it was 102 years.


We donated this photo of K Company of the 442nd RCT to Maunalani. They displayed it during November last year and it will be on display again this year and for years to come. Many more people will get a chance to enjoy it at Maunalani than they will at Dad's house. Dad wrote his initials on his photo, he is in the 4th row from the front, about 1/3 from the right side of the formation.


I was late for my sunrise walk this morning; I woke up at about the time I am usually leaving the house. I left the house about sunrise and went up Wilhelmina Rise instead of Sierra. I started my walk about 10 minutes after sunrise, which is still about half an hour earlier than sunrise in mid-January. During my drive up I passed Cody & Rollie with Suzanne, Joanne, & a 3rd woman. I also saw Kelly & Abby and Ken with Toto & Chico starting their walks. I walked about half the circle with Ken, Toto, & Chico, until the dogs decided they needed to check out a lamp post. Near the park I saw Cody & Rollie with Suzanne & Joanne and met their sister Diane who is a veterinarian. I found out there are 2 other brothers in the family & the house where Cody, Rollie, & Roger live is the family house. I saw The Motorcycle Guy ride by on a non-motorized mountain bike. Later I saw Johnny coming up Sierra with Coco & Chloe.
Three minutes before sunrise at home.
One minute after sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Ten minutes after sunrise on Maunalani.
Twenty-six minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I was so late I didn't see any other regulars during my cool down stretches. But I did see a couple of the night CNAs as they left work; Sharmayne told me about Mr. Ikuma being on the front page and I told her about last night's newscast. Then later I saw Mischa whom I met yesterday when he stayed after his shift to help with getting the veterans up to the celebration.

They have started building the foundation for the Lanipoko house; the concrete block is level with the old foundation.


Dad was in bed having breakfast when I arrived. He was also asleep which he usually does after he is done eating. He had eaten half of his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya. He drank all of his juice but none of his water.

During my mid-morning walk I saw Ken working in his yard; Toto sat on the stairs near the gate and woofed a couple of times at me while Chico watched from the top of the stairs. As I was starting on to Lurline, I saw Matthew and Bo Derek coming up Sierra in the distance; I haven't seen them in a while. I saw Mike walking Max before they went in to work; Mike says they're looking for a new place. Apparently Steve, whom I met last week, owns the house and came back a couple months early from a speaking tour he was on and is currently living in the basement while Mike & Max look for a place. Near the end of my walk I saw Maisie and the very well-behaved Daisy!
Cattle Egret hunting along the circle.

Lunch today was Steak & mushroom sauce, Steamed rice, Vegetable of the day, Tossed salad, Boston cream cake, and Tomato bisque soup. I skipped the tomato bisque, Carb Manager says it has 16 g of carbs. And since we are going out to dinner with Tomiko & David tonight I wanted to keep my carb load lower for the rest of the day. I also skipped the cranberry juice this morning and drank water instead. At the end of lunch my carb load was only 8 g. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 1&1/2 desserts. He drank 240 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water.


I skipped the afternoon walk so I could get ready for dinner tonight with Tomiko & David. I picked them up near Kaimana Beach where they spent the late afternoon; we met everyone else a little later at Zippy's. I had the Chili Omelet with tomato slices instead of rice. I thought it would be a low carb meal but according to Carb Manager it has 86 g carbs! (But I don't know if that entry is with or without beans or with tomato slices instead of rice.) I searched the Internet & Carb Manager, I might have to think about the tuna salad (22 g) or mini tuna salad (19 g). The next lowest carb thing I could find was the Korean chicken salad (24 g).


S'mores had eaten her 10 minutes worth of food before I left the house this morning. I set up the Portion Control function on the Wireless Whiskers so her feeding is spread throughout the day.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Leslie, Larry, Bob, & Maribel!

No comments:

Post a Comment