Thursday, February 13, 2020

Catching Up on ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi

I skipped all the walks on Wednesday; I wanted to catch up on reviewing class sessions #2 & #3 for ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi before class later in the afternoon. The KTUH Facebook Live videos, combined with the notes I was able to take on my laptop, were able to give me a good review! Now I just have to make time for DuoLingo and actually talking to Marissa & Ki'ini. I also bought index cards so that I can make flash cards.
Class #2.
Class #3.

When I got in on Wednesday morning Dad was finishing his breakfast. He ate half his fried egg sandwich and all his papaya and banana. He drank 240 ml cranberry juice but no water.

Wednesday was the first day of good weather for the roofers; no precipitation at all! They started by putting up some 2" x 4" safety rails; they also have harnesses with safety lines. I also saw the crane moving materials up to the roof.
Building the safety rails.
Rails in place on this side.
The crane transfers materials up to the roof.
The crew starts to work on the roof.

When I took Dad to the Namaste session in the 3rd floor dining room we also got to see some of the scaffolding they have put up on the other side of the building.
Dad looks out at upper Palolo Valley while waiting for Namaste to begin.
The scaffolding outside the 3rd floor dining room.

Lunch yesterday was Honey ginger glazed chicken, Steamed rice, Sonoma blend vegetables, Tossed salad, Layer cake, and French onion soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 pieces of chocolate cake. He drank 240 ml orange juice and 120 ml water.


During ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi class later in the afternoon we learned about how Hawaiian is a very relational language. Since it was an oral language with no written component a lot of word usage is based on context. Like the words kona and ʻo ia that we learned in Wednesday's class. Both kind of mean "that person over there who is not part of this conversation".




We also learned about the Hawaiian "the". Both in singular, ka and ke, and plural, .




Because it is a relational language, identifying where you are in space also uses relational words. But there are also 2 prefixes, i and ma, that can be used interchangeably.

Each island is divided into districts, within each are ahupua'a or watersheds.




I gave ʻAnakē Healani a ride home after class; I really do not like seeing her waiting around for the Handi-Van to come and pick her up. Plus she would be pushing herself to walk faster to get to the pick up point, which was quite far away from the classroom; she would always get winded and be very anxious about missing her ride. I told her I would give her a ride next week also. During the ride she asked me some questions in Hawaiian that were from class but then also asked me some that were not. I was able to figure out she was asking me about how many children I had and how old they were. But I wasn't able to answer in Hawaiian. Aue! I am hoping my the end of class I will be able to answer those questions!

Instead of taking her home, ʻAnakē Healani directed me to Mililani Restaurant for dinner for driving her home! She said it was a very good local place; it was busy the whole time we were there with most people taking large quantities of food to go. ʻAnakē had Saimin and Fried Zucchini; I had a side order of Chicken Katsu since they don't do substitutions for the carbs. (It was the wait person's suggestion.) Everything was good but we both had leftovers; enough in fact for me to have some for dinner the next day!
Fried zucchini.
Chicken Katsu (R); ʻAnakē also gave me some of her saimin (L).

At ʻAnakē Healani's house I got out my laptop and loaded the KTUH Facebook page's video of the previous week's lesson and showed it to her. With the sound on my laptop turned all the way up she was able to hear what was being said. She will have her grandson help her with watching the videos of the first 3 classes. I was unable to get the video for yesterday's class to play; I will have to check later to see if it is working.

While I was at ʻAnakē Healaniʻs house, RN Sierra called; Dad's cough was sounding worse. When she listened to it she said it sounded like there was phlegm in his lungs. Dr. Griese put in an order for a chest x-ray on Thursday morning.

When I got back the other night there was a little bag that said, "Aunty Kinuko, From Kenny". Kenny is a friend of The Potential Most Favorite Roommate who was visiting last week. It was brownies he made.We had been talking about a ketogenic diet and I told him that it appears that I can eat a few more carbs than usual because of my metabolism, but that I would cut things in to smaller servings to lower the carb amount per serving. So I was going to cut the brownies in to quarters and found that he had already done that! Winner!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment