Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Check Engine Light On!

Oh, no! I turned the Crosstrek on this morning and the Check Engine light went on! Along with the EyeSight and Lane Departure Warning lights. The RAB light also came on; I had to look it up to find that it stands for Reverse Automatic Braking. I took it in to the Servco Subaru service center and they put me ahead of some of the appointments since it was a brand new car; I had it less than 24-hours before the Check Engine light came on!
Why are all those lights on?!
Everything looks okay ...
Here's where I spent my mid-morning walking time.

They're not sure why the lights came on. Zach the technician's best guess is that the computer did not like that the car had to be jumped a couple of times. Since it was a 2019 as well as a hybrid it had sat on the lot a while so the regular battery had to get jumped; it runs the radio, clock, etc. Zach said if the light comes on again, and I am nearby, just drive it in and DON'T turn the engine off. He said they would take it in immediately and put it on the monitor so they could get the codes as soon as possible.
All fixed!

It felt good to be out walking again! Though I originally thought I wouldn't be able to do this morning's sunrise walk; about 15 minutes before I was scheduled to leave there was a big downpour! It turned out to only be that one downpour, the rest of the morning was dry. On my drive up I saw Mary on her way down Lurline. During my walk I saw LaVie in the distance, then I saw Mike & Dulci starting their walk. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken with Toto & Chico; later Lynnette & June walked by.
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Five minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I checked the hāpuʻu this morning. Kelly's yard guys had pulled up the grass around it, but it was only cosmetic; the roots are still there. I hope to work on it on Friday morning.

During my walk I also saw that one the property owners has decided enough is enough! And put up signs for the person who has not been picking up their dog's poop. In all I counted 6 signs!
What are all those little signs about?
Each one was next to a pile of dog poop; all from small dogs.

By the time I got to Dad's room he was done with breakfast; he had pushed his tray aside. He had eaten half of his fried egg sandwich and all his papaya and banana. Dad drank 240 ml orange juice but no water.

They are starting to repair the roof at Maunalani today. They started setting up scaffolding outside Dad's window just after breakfast. RN Fred came in asking to keep the curtains closed while they were tossing some things off the roof; I think they wanted to minimize glass spraying in to the room in case something bounced and hit a window. The curtains were opened when I returned from taking the Crosstrek in for service. 
Before lunch.
After lunch.

I fell asleep in the chair after breakfast. I was awakened a little after 10 by a phone call from Reid; I had left him a message around 8 am about the Check Engine and other lights. He said to bring the car in when it was convenient for me; I told him I would be right in! I got there in about 15 minutes.

Dad was done with lunch by the time I got back. As I was signing in, Myra, one of the kitchen staff, asked if I wanted lunch; Marissa asked, too. I said no because I did not want to make extra work for them. I ate one of the meat bars I keep in my back pack for emergencies.


Before I left, I used the restroom; I used Restroom #2 today. It has been at least a week since I used it; I found a new table and a new shelf similar to the ones in Restroom #1.


I skipped the afternoon walk; it's Wednesday which is ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi class day! I left with enough time to drive around looking for visitor parking. Right now I need to pay for parking; once I get the Electric Vehicle license plate I won't need to pay. Today's parking fee was $12! Reid says they try to get the EV plates out quickly since there are benefits that go along with the plate.

Today was different than last week; class was out on the steps and on the lawn fronting the Campus Center Building. Since they had not anticipated such a large level of interest in the classes they had reserved a smaller room. The class was moved to the Ballroom to accommodate everyone but it was not available today. We learned about how to ask and answer where we & other things were physically located.  

After class I met up with Aneke Healani; her grandson was not with her today, he had to work. I walked with her to where the van would pick her up, then I waited with her for it to arrive. I did not want to leave her alone due to all the incidents of kupuna being attacked by cowardly people and hurt as robberies were taking place. It is a university campus so the chances of that happening are lower but I still would feel very bad if something were to happen to her that I could have prevented just by standing there with her.

The stormwater information session was this evening; it started about 1 hour after the Hawaiian class ended. I went there as soon as Aneke Healani was safely on the van; I got there about 5 minutes before it started. I'm glad I went; I met a bunch of interesting and very thoughtful community members. I also met one of the consultants who used to live in Marysville where Kai is living now! And one of the participants in the small group discussion I was assigned to has 2 daughters going to school in Seattle. I think it was a productive meeting; I hope to see them at the follow-up meeting in the summer.

The ideas from our group's brainstorming session.

As I mentioned yesterday, Curtis is starting intermittent fasting; specifically he is doing the type referred to as 16/8intermittent fasting. In 16/8 intermittent fasting, you fast for 16 hours giving yourself an 8 hour period during which you can eat; it doesn't matter which 8 hour block of time you choose to eat in. There are no special things you are supposed to eat or that you must avoid. There is no counting of calories either. Because of my schedule, I am pretty close to eating on a 16/8 intermittent fasting schedule. My 1st meal is lunch around 11:30, then dinner around 5 pm. My problem is having a snack later in the evening; but if I keep it within the 8 hour period I meet the requirements for the 16/8 intermittent fasting. So perhaps my weight loss had been caused more by my occasionally doing an intermittent fast? Dunno. But I think, since I am so close already, I will be more mindful of keeping my eating limited to an 8 hour period and see what happens. And perhaps once I get down to my optimal weight I will switch to a 16/8 intermittent fasting schedule. And eat the carbs that I like even if they are not culturally significant!

I am rethinking my doing artwork every day this year. Because of the ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi classes and trying to do DuoLingo every day to supplement the classes I am finding I have no time to include the art classes. The 'Ōlelo Hawaiʻi classes end in May; after that I will get back to the art every day. In the meanwhile, I will concentrate on ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi. I found 2 practice buddies this morning! Both Marissa and Kiʻini speak Hawaiian though not fluently. They are willing to help me; they said it will help them also!

By the way, before I got the Wireless Whiskers for my cats, I used to make them fast one day a week. They didn't seem to mind. It would be like if they were on their own and had a bad day hunting!

I stumbled yesterday on my eating in the evening. I had picked up a vegan oatcake to try it because I had been talking to The Baker at Kokua on my previous visit. He highly recommended them. But they are, of course, full of carbs. I even cut it in half; it still boosted my carb level so I was no longer burning fats last night. I also ate it after the 8-hour window. By eating judiciously and doing one walk today I was able to get back in to ketogenesis (just barely!) by the end of the day.
At 8:09 am; after my sunrise walk.
At 8:04 pm; after dinner.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Vel, Rich, & Willie! Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #64 to Dottie & Alan!

No comments:

Post a Comment