Friday, February 21, 2020

Silver & Fit

My medical insurance is through Kaiser Permanente; which I was also on when I lived here earlier. I found out they have a fitness program called Silver & Fit that is part of my health plan. I called the Silver & Fit program, got an ID number, and a list of some of the participating gyms. I also looked on line for a more complete list. I found besides a gym program, they also have an in home fitness program. I am going to try the gym portion to get some weight training in, but I might also get one of the in-home fitness kits. They have bunch that are done in chairs which would be great for sitting with Dad!

This is one option.
This is the other option.
I might have to check this out, too.

I started the morning with my sunrise walk; it felt really good. And I was not very sore at all! I saw Ona & Rio on the circle. As I was starting down Sierra, Tina drove by & waved. As I finished my walk and was on my way to the parking lot Ron from WheelCare Oʻahu drove by & waved.
Ten minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
One minute before sunrise on Maunalani.
Sixteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

After my walk I stopped by to talk to Kelly about the the shrubs around the hāpuʻu. While I was parking I saw RN Trang walking by; we chatted briefly. I saw her later after I left Kelly's. The frond seems to be unfurling nicely but I will be keeping an eye on it to make sure it was not affected by getting dried out.

When I got home I noticed that the screen of the window over the kitchen sink had been ripped by Luna; she can reach it from the top shelf of the cat run. Shiro would only look in and meow but Luna claws at it trying to get in. I removed it and took it to Screens & Things to get pet screen put in; it is more resistant to claws.

On the way back I stopped at Home Depot to check on the native plants by Hui kū Maoli Ola; I need to replace the palapalai that died. I also picked up an ʻalula for Dad's yard. While there I met Justin, who was there with his mother Lisa and daughter River. Justin is a teacher at an elementary school where he has worked with the students to start a native plant garden. He gave me his phone number so I can set up a time to get a tour of the garden. Cool!
I got this one for Dadʻs yard.
I'm thinking of getting this one, too, as a ground cover.

I also stopped at Kokua Market and dropped off 4 pomelos with Abdul but he wasn't there. Instead I met JJ and Kai who were working the produce section today. I also picked up some Beef Mousakka from the deli and some Ahi Poke.
Beef Mousakka.
Ahi Poke.

My last stop was at the Kaimukī-Waiʻalae Branch of the YMCA; they are one of the gyms in the Silver & Fit program. I got a schedule of their group classes and asked a bunch of questions; Lennon started my membership and answered my questions. I watched one of the Silver & Fit exercise classes; I can do any of the other classes as well. And I can pay extra to have a personal trainer; though Lennon recommended a guided session to learn about all the machines first. He also said they only had one personal trainer so it would be a couple weeks before I could get an appointment.

Here's the group class schedule.

On the news tonight they showed Kohala High School winning the Division II Boys Basketball Championship! It's their first basketball championship! Yay!

During my weigh-in this morning I found I am still on track with my weight loss plan. I dropped another 1.4 pounds over the past week. And that's even with no walking and sleeping a lot for a couple of days.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Barbara, Jackson, Shannon. Darwin, & Amelia!

No comments:

Post a Comment