Wednesday, February 19, 2020

ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi #5

Today we practiced more about locations, learned about the word order when using adjectives, and also learned a few more new words. We started by breaking up in to groups based on which moku we lived in; Kona was the largest group.
We broke up in to groups based on the moku we lived in.








Ka iʻa melemele = the yellow fish.





We were given 2 more on-line resources; one is a language learning TV series starting in 2012 called Ka Leo ʻŌiwi and the other was Kaniʻāina, a series of interviews conducted from 1972 to 1988 with kūpuna mānaleo (native speaking elders) all conducted in ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi.

Next week class will be in Bilger Hall which is the chemistry building. I remember having 2 classes there, one chemistry lecture and one world history lecture. But thatʻs about all I remember. Except the smell, it always seemed to smell like methyl mercaptan, aka essence of skunk!


I started out the morning in pain. And at least one of them was a fibromyalgia pain; an imaginary pain. I got on-line and found a couple that sounded promising. I decided to go with The Pain Relief and Massage Center because they were open daily and from 9 in the morning until about 8 pm; I called and left a message. George called me back about 30 minutes later; they had an opening at 3 which wouldn't work for me since that is when the ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi class starts. He said he would try to move a client around and get back to me. He called back about 15 minutes later and got me in at 10:30! Winner! It was a great massage; he got a lot of kinks out including some I didn't know that I had! Getting to the place was an adventure, though.
First, they have no separate parking lot. Then you have to walk down the alley past the moped place.
Then you have to make sure you go through the right gate.
Then up the stairs to the right floor.
And up the stairs to the right door. I made it!

I stopped in at Kokua Market on the way back from my massage; I talked to Abdul while I was there. Abdul is in charge of the produce section; he's the one I talk to about the pomelo. We agreed that I would bring in 2 or 3 each week when I come in to do my grocery shopping for as long as we have pomelo or until he has too many!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Barb  Rachael! This is also the 78th Anniversary of Executive Order 9066.

No comments:

Post a Comment