Saturday, February 22, 2020

Papayas Coming Soon!

When I got home this afternoon, I checked on the ʻālula and palapalai that I picked up yesterday. While I was checking on them I noticed that the second papaya that was topped had a lot of shoots; I pruned off all except one of them. I also checked on the first papaya that was topped; it has 3 green papayas forming!
Part way through the removal of the shoots.
After.
New papayas!

On my drive up for my sunrise walk I saw Calvin the Recycler! I was glad to see him; it seems I have not seen him for several months. I'm not sure if it was the timing of my walk or maybe the timing of his walk; but it is nice to know he is still OK. The other person I have not seen for a while is Loy; I used to see him every other day. I hope he has not relapsed and is in the hospital again. On my drive up I also saw Suzanne & Joanne walking Cody & Rollie; Roger must be away again. During my walk I saw Lorraine by the park; she was the only regular I saw while walking. I noticed that Cathy has a new car; a Prius. During my cool down stretches the only person I saw was Wolf.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seventeen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

It was dry during my walk but a few minutes after I began my cool down stretches it began to rain. A lot. But once again it did not last too long.


I saw 2 cats this morning; Shy Cat and the dilute tortoiseshell.
Shy Cat.
The Dilute Tortoiseshell eating breakfast.

I took a photo of the hāpuʻu today to document its progress. It is a bit taller than last week and I can see some of the leaflets beginning to form.


It appears that keys to both of the bathrooms on the 3rd floor are either locked in the bathroom or lost; they weren't at the reception desk as usual. I had to change in the 2nd floor staff bathroom this morning. I skipped both the mid-morning & afternoon walks since I did not have access to a regular bathroom; I did not want to interfere with staff use of the 2nd floor bathroom.

Dad was asleep with his breakfast tray in front of him when I arrived. After he woke up he ate more and ultimately ended up eating none of his fried egg sandwich but all of his papaya & banana. He did not drink any fluids.

Lunch today was Steak & mushroom gravy, Steamed rice,  Vegetable of the day, Tossed salad, Boston cream cake, and Tomato bisque soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 pieces of Boston cream cake. He drank 240 ml orange juice and 120 ml water.


It turns out the bathroom key is no longer being kept in a basket on the front desk; you have to get it from the receptionist. One key has repeatedly disappeared and is once again lost. They are hoping that the new system will keep the key from continually getting lost. When I did use the bathroom on the 3rd floor it looked like something had been smeared on the toilet paper holder; one of the hazards of being around people with dementia.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Shannon!

No comments:

Post a Comment