Friday, September 13, 2019

Diamond Head Windows

George and John from Diamond Head Windows came to take the measurements for the windows. These are the measurements that will be used to construct the impact resistant windows for Dad's house. Luna was very interested in what they were doing and followed them around as they took measurements. In 10 to 12 weeks the windows will be ready for installation.
John (L) and George measuring the window.
Luna supervising John & George.

Today was a busy day. I started with my sunrise walk; on my drive up I saw Calvin the Recycler as he was starting his walk. I also saw LaVie as she was going down Sierra. During my walk I saw Paul & Bodhi twice and Wendy drove by towards the end. During my cool down stretches I saw Lorraine and Ken with Toto & Chico.
Twenty-two minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Twelve minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Flat rat.

After my cool down stretches I went to Kelly's to weed the grass out of the palapalai at the base of the hāpuʻu; he was getting ready to go surfing. I was able to clean out the grass roots along the left side of the hāpuʻu by the small palapalai before my back said it was time to stop; I'll have to finish it off next week.
Before.
After. Sort of,  more work to come.
It's a rainbow! Yes, it was drizzling part of the time I was weeding.

I also found some mushrooms in the lawn; they look sort of like pig's ears (Gomphus clavatus). G. clavatus does not occur here but G. pallidus does; but that doesn't look like this mushroom. I'll have to get a sample and do more searching to find out what it is.
Unknown mushrooms.

After I got home Curtis arrived and was checking out some old records that Mom & Dad had. They had about 2 dozen old Hawaiian records including some under the label, "49th State Hawaii Record Company". It included a group billed as The Kalima Brothers, 1000 Pounds of Melody; we wondered how many of them were in the group. An Internet search found that it appears that there were between 4 and 6 members, so an average of 167 to 250 pounds each.


The album cover has a (most likely Eastern) Meadowlark on it!

I ended the day with a visit to Dr. Pham for my annual physical; she was also Mom's primary care physician. Basically I am healthy. The main concern that Dr. Pham has is that my cholesterol level shot up to 260 mg/dl when it had previously been good. I told her I thought it was eating a lot of red meat during my visit with Kai; if my body hasn't switched to burning fats yet it would show up in my blood. In 3 months we'll recheck my cholesterol level and see what it looks like. FYI My HDL ratio is 67 mg/dl, which is about twice as high as the lower limit of what is considered a healthy level, so that's good. We'll see what happens in 3 months.


We also discussed the plateau I have reached with my weight loss. Dr. Pham says I should now switch to a surrogate measure to track my visceral fat loss. The rule of thumb is that your waist circumference should be no more than 50% of your height in inches; for me that would be 29". I am at 33"; my goal for next year's physical will be to be closer to 29". (OK, so that's not very specific; it works for now.)

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Marcie, Sweet Danny Ray, Duane, & Bryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment