Tuesday, September 3, 2019

New Crown

I called this morning to see if Dr. Azuma could get me in today to fix the broken temporary crown; Jocelyn had a cancellation that I was able to take. But when Dr. Azuma looked at what happened he said I needed to get the permanent crown. The 1st big piece that came off when I flossed was the temporary crown that he had put on in July. The 2nd piece that came loose when I rinsed my mouth was another part of the original crown; only about 1/3 of the original crown was still intact. It was starting to self-destruct. Dr. Azuma was concerned since the underlying tooth had a crack right down the middle and 3/4 of a temporary crown would not be able to hold it together very well.
This is what broke off earlier. July 08, 2019, screenshot.
This is what the recent break looks like. (Screenshot)
Dr. Azuma 1st had to remove the remains of the old crown. (Screenshot)
Then he ground down some of the decay in the cracked portion of the tooth. (Screenshot)

So, even though my insurance won't cover it until January, we went ahead and did the permanent crown to save me potential pain before the end of the year; I'm glad I have a Hawaiian AirMiles credit card so I can at least get some miles since I have to pay for the work. Dr. Azuma had to first remove the old crown, then he removed some decay around the cracked portion. Once that was done he digitized the tooth needing the crown as well as the surrounding teeth and the upper ones meshing with it. He has a program that then creates the new crown in about 20 minutes! It was a lot faster than the original crown, that one took about an hour; I took a nap in the dentist's chair for that one.
Dr. Azuma, designing my new crown.
The computer software will make my new crown.
The new crown on Dr. Azuma's finger.
The new crown in place. (Screenshot)

Dr. Azuma is using a new-to-him material for the crown; it was developed in Germany by the same company that provides the adhesive and computer program that he uses to make the crowns. He decided to try it because it is also supposed to last longer. I told him I would test that out for him!

I was able to do my morning walk as usual. As I was finishing off the circle, I saw Mary & Noe as they were heading down Lurline. Later I saw Ken with Toto & Chico as I was doing my cool down stretches. The location of the rubbish can that I use to do my hamstring and quadriceps stretches on has been changed; it is now near the front of the shelter on the uphill side. I think they moved it so it is more visible when staff drives by.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Four minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Thirteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I found a lot of changes during my walk. Specifically trees that had been topped or removed. It started with the mango trees on the lot next to Maunalani that had been topped; there were very few birds that I heard in those trees. The trees on the property at the top of the circle where the house was removed were also removed. It was very quiet when I walked by; that's where I would hear the most Yellow-fronted Canaries in the morning. Along my walk there were 2 other areas where trees were topped or thinned; there were less birds there, too.
Mango trees by the upper parking lot.
This used to be a backdrop of trees.

I stopped to check on the hāpuʻu; it survived. The older fronds have been burnt by the high temperatures we had since the middle of May; I'm not sure exactly what the temperature was like while I was gone but I was told it was hot. There is a new frond emerging. And I need to remove the grass that is growing in to the ferns; one of the palapalai appears to be setback by it.
The 2 newer fronds are still looking good; the older ones are fried!
The good news is that there is a new frond beginning to unfurl.
The bad news is that the grass is liking this weather and has made the planting bed part of the lawn!

The resurfacing is not finished yet, but most of Lurline has been done so about half of my walking route is completed.

Since I wasn't at Maunalani for very long today I did not see many of the residents. Those I saw today were Mrs. Akiyama, Mr. Ikuma, Mr. Izon, Mr. Kalaukoa, Mr. Kunisaki, Mrs. Okawa, Mr. Pires, Mrs. Toyama, and Mr. Watanabe. There are about 30 more whom I did not see during the 2 hours I was there; I'll have to look for them tomorrow.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Ian and Darien!

No comments:

Post a Comment