Monday, September 16, 2019

Hurricane Kiko

Tropical Storm Kiko formed in the Eastern North Pacific a couple days ago; it reached hurricane-level winds on Saturday afternoon. It continues to be a hurricane with sustained winds of about 85 mph; it is moving westerly at about 5 mph. It is about 1000 miles from moving in to the Central Pacific region or about 2000 miles easterly of us; if Kiko remains at tropical storm level winds or stronger when it crosses into the Central Pacific I will begin posting nightly updates.


It was a little less muggy this morning when I stepped out of the car. During my walk I saw Calvin the Recycler but no other regulars. During my cool down stretches I saw Lorraine, Ken with Toto & Chico, and LaVie twice.
Twenty-four minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Three minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was in the Orchid Dining Room having breakfast this morning; he was sharing a table with Mr. Miyahira. Dad ate 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya; there was no apple banana again. He drank 120 ml of apple juice but no water.


There was a high overcast and fairly consistent light breeze during my mid-morning walk which made it easier to put up with the higher temperatures; it was already at 86 degrees F. I didn't see any regulars today, but I did see them starting to reinstall the manhole covers and other hardware that they removed while they were repaving the roads.

Looking down Lurline at the work area.
On Lurline, looking at one of the manhole covers being reinstalled.

Lunch today was Baked fish with dill sauce, Wild rice pilaf, Green beans with bacon, Garden salad, Fruit salad with whip cream, and Tomato basil soup. My tray came with plain brown rice not pilaf and no soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 fruit salads! He drank 120 ml apple juice and 120 ml water.


I did a walk in the afternoon today; I used the Omni-Freeze UPF shirt and it was great! But I did it a little differently than the descriptions say to use it; I wet it first, then put it on. I figured if it wicks away sweat to cause the cooling, why not start with it wet? Basically a wet shirt allows my body to avoid working as it creates sweat to keep me cool. I was about 25 minutes in to my walk before I found myself creating large amounts of sweat; it was great!
I realized today that I have not been taking my usual reference photo for the afternoon walks. Aue!

Luna got out this evening when The Roommates came home; the security door was open a bit wider and for a bit longer than it usually is. She hid under the RAV4 and wouldn't come out. I went out and snapped my fingers and she came running to me; I have been training Luna & S'mores to come when I snap my fingers. All my cats were trained to come when I snapped my fingers; they might get a hug or a treat or their meds. The important part is that it gets their attention and they came to investigate what I have for them.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to David & Winky!

No comments:

Post a Comment