Sunday, July 28, 2019

Bon Voyage, Calvin!

We took Calvin out to dinner tonight since he leaves very early tomorrow morning; he's going to Kauaʻi for a few days to visit his grandma before he returns to California. We went to Japanese Restaurant Aki for dinner. We had the several types of yakitori, sushi, and curry. I later dropped Calvin off near the zoo; he had one last Manu-o-Kū night survey to do before he left.

L to R: quail eggs, gizzards, & chicken skin.
Five Kinds Assortment (chef's choice) L to R: chicken thigh, chicken breast, sausage, ?, shishitogarashi.
Original Pork Curry. (Photo by The Potential Most Favorite Roommate)
L & R: Bluefin Fatty Tuna & Green Onion Roll; center: Spicy Tuna Roll.
Green tea creme brulee.
Warabimochi.

It was very breezy during my morning walk which made the 78 degree F temperature easier to handle. I didn't see any of the regulars during my walk and o saw Ken and the early-rising dogs during my cool down stretches. The most exciting thing was seeing a Peregrine Falcon come gliding over the grassy field above the upper parking lot; it veered to the right & flew off towards Lurline when it saw me at the covered shelter. As it flew past I got a very good look at its hooked beak and malar stripe; I am sure of my identification. Peregrines are not residents here but a few are seen annually.
Twenty minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was just waking up when I arrived; CNA Nemie was getting ready to give him his morning bed bath. He ate half his fried egg sandwich and all of the papaya and banana; he drank 120 ml orange juice and 60 ml coffee.

Although RN Val had never worked with Dad before, I decided to do my mid-morning walk since CNA Nemie had worked with him before. The weather, however, had other ideas; just as I was ready to get changed it started to rain. Then it stopped. Then it started again. And stopped. Then it began raining even harder; it wasn't staying dry long enough for me to even get around the 0.5 mile circle. It rained on and off until about 10:30 so I skipped the walk. Lucky thing for Dad; he wanted ice cream when he woke up so I was able to get one for him! (It counts as a liquid. Yay!)

Lunch today was Baked glazed ham, Baked sweet potatoes, Steamed corn, Tossed salad, Oatmeal cookies, and Minestrone soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich and 2 cookies; he drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water. During lunch we could see the rain showers moving towards the west.


I also skipped the afternoon walk because Sunday is shower day for Dad. CNA Nicole had only worked with Dad on activities; today was her first day as his aide. Because he knew both Nicole & CNA Sam who helped her transfer him to the shower chair thing went smoothly.

It's been a while since I took photos of construction along my walk. Here's one of the houses on the sharp turn on Lurline. 
May 24, 2019.
Today.

Depression Six-E that formed in the Eastern North Pacific (east of 140 degrees W) has now become Tropical Storm Erick; it is expected to gradually gain speed and become a hurricane by late Monday as it heads towards us. Currently it is about 1700 miles east-southeast of Hilo; at about 130 degrees W. I will begin posting more information if it crosses in to the Central Pacific region as a hurricane.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mona & cousin Mark! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #31 to Mimi & Peggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment