Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Kona Weather

As soon as I got out of the car this morning I could feel how muggy it was. During my walk there was absolutely no breeze. I passed Mary twice while walking and then I saw Wendy getting ready to run errands; while I was talking with her Ona & Rio walked by. Later during my cool down stretches I saw Ona & Rio again along with Ken & the early-rising dogs. I also saw the White Cockatoo flying in the distance and calling.
Twenty-four minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Four minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

It looks like banana rustlers are at work here, too. The banana plant that I walk past every morning was toppled over today and the bunch of bananas was missing.


I also found a dead Red-vented Bulbul fledgling and a dead adult ʻEhakō. I think the ʻEhakō was another breeding season fatality.
Red-vented Bulbul.
ʻEhakō (Spotted Dove).

Dad was in the Orchid Dining Room eating breakfast when I got there. He shared a table with Mr. Miyahira. Dad ate half his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya & banana. He drank 120 ml apple juice and 60 ml water.


I skipped the mid-morning walk; Dad's vancomycin was started about 9:45 and would take about an hour. I wanted to be there just in case he started to pull on the IV lines again. Fortunately he didn't, he just slept through the infusion. But I still felt better knowing for sure that he wasn't doing anything. His leg is looking better; the color on his upper thigh is fading although the color on the lower leg looks like it is moving down towards his ankle.

Lunch today was Fish nitsuke, Brown rice, Stir fry vegetable blend, Garden salad, Pineapple upside down cake, and Chicken noodle soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and one dessert. He drank 60 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water; he also had 120 ml water just before lunch.


I skipped the afternoon walk; Mr. Pires was supposed to arrive around 2 so I wanted to be here in case Dad got agitated like he did when there was a lot of activity with Mr. Pires' PT assessment. He had been in the hospital since last Thursday night. Mr. Pires had not returned by 3:30 and I had to leave.

Calvin left a Thank You gift for us; a beautiful orchid. According to the tag it is a hybrid of P. Chian Xen Golden x P. Fusheng's Golden Age. (I was unable to find P. Chian Xen Golden, but I was able to find P. Chian Xen Gold, P. Chian Xen Golden Star, and P. Chian Xen Golden Sun.) After it is done flowering I will take it to the Kohala house and see if I can get it to grow on one of the hāpuʻu.


I saw the Cheshire Cat today. I think it was hunting for Red-vented Bulbuls in the lychee tree.
Cat #14 The Cheshire Cat.

My new Hoka One Ones arrived! I ordered them on Sunday, the same day I ordered something from Amazon. It arrived today, 2 days later; this is their regular shipping, nothing special. I'm still waiting for my Amazon package via regular shipping. And, yes, they're pink; but they won't be once I start using them! (The description calls it "Teaberry", whatever that is.) FYI This is a discontinued style that feels really good on my feet so I shall keep ordering it on-line until they run out of my size; like they did with the navy blue & mint green ones. Hmm, maybe I should order more pairs before they run out of them?
This color scheme is called Nightshade & Teaberry.

Hurricane Barbara is about 2100 miles east of Hilo and is predicted to enter the Central Pacific Hurricane Center jurisdiction on Saturday. It is also expected to lose speed by then and become a tropical storm. For right now, here's what it looks like. If it should enter our area as more than a remnant low, I will begin posting daily updates.


It was too much to hope for. A paper arrived this morning.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mrs. Keliikipi and Melia!

No comments:

Post a Comment