Sunday, July 7, 2019

New Vancomycin Schedule

So yesterday turned out to not be the last vancomycin treatment; the last one will be Wednesday morning. Dr. Greis wants all the redness in Dad's leg to subside so he extended the treatment; Dad's leg looks way better today than it has been since this all started about 10 days ago but still has a little color in the lower part of his leg. As with the other days, I skipped my mid-morning walk to keep an eye on Dad so he would be less likely to dislodge the IV needle while the vancomycin was being administered.

The morning walk was excellent in spite of the temperature at the house being 79 degrees F at 5:30 in the morning; I thought it was going to be a hot day but it wasn't. There was a very nice breeze for most of my walk; it is apparently from the remnants of former Hurricane Barbara which is now just a depression. I saw Calvin the Recycler and I met Diane, she lives at the house with the jocote tree. She was out walking 2 corgi-mix puppies, Abby & Kai; later during my cool down stretches I could hear their high-pitched puppy yapping as they played.

Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twelve minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I was about half way through my cool down stretches when Lorraine came walking down the driveway; she had some greenery in her hand. She had picked some pikake branches for me this morning since she knew she would be walking with Steph today; but Steph was not with her. It turns out Steph was waiting for her at the bus stop because she was out of breath; she had not walked for over a month. Lorraine left and about 5 minutes later Steph came walking down the driveway! She decided to see if she could make it to the parking lot because the smells from the garbage can at the bus stop were overpowering! I walked back down to the bus stop with her so Lorraine wouldn't be concerned if she got back & Steph wasn't there. As we approached the intersection we saw Lorraine coming down the other side of the circle; we met near the bus stop.


Lorraine's gift of the pikake branches is very timely; I will prepare some for planting here and take a few with me to start for the Kohala house. I'm glad I got the drip irrigation kit & sprayers for the baby hāpuʻu; I can use it for starting other plants as well. It was fun to talk with them this morning; I also found out the day I saw Steph & her husband Gary driving by a couple weeks ago was because of the rain. They were taking the 2 girls she watches up to the park for some outdoor play time since it was a little drier at that time of the day.

Dad was finishing off his breakfast when I arrived. He had eaten half of his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya and banana. He drank 120 ml of orange juice but no water.

Lunch today was Chicken afritada, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Pie, and Thai chicken curry & rice soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 pieces of cherry pie; he drank 120 ml apple juice and 60 ml of water.


I skipped the afternoon walk; I needed to get some information for Tomiko. I also needed to run an errand to exchange the non-functioning sprayer; I also decided to get a couple of semi-circular pattern spray heads to use in Kohala.


Tomiko & I have been busy texting to get transportation, etc., worked out for this trip. It looks like she will be heading over tomorrow morning; so she can do some things on her own. Then Aunty Florence & I will head over on Wednesday, she & I will meet Kai at the Kona end. Kai & I have been busy IMing to set up his return; he got his dates mixed up on an event he wanted to attend in Seattle. I managed to get him a flight that will leave late enough that we can finish the guided tour at Shangri La Islamic Art Center before he has to get on the plane. He will then arrive at Sea-Tac at about 7 in the morning which will allow him to also attend SkyFair!

When I got in to the car this morning I smelled the unmistakable scent of mock orange. I thought it was from the Loi's hedge. This afternoon I found out it was actually coming from the mock orange shrub in our parking area.


During dinner, as I was eating a vegetarian burger, I chomped down and bit something hard. I sorted through the remains of my burger and pulled out a little triangular piece. It turned out to be a piece of my tooth. As I poked around with my finger 2 more pieces fell out! I stopped poking around & called my dentist's emergency number.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Uncle Howie, John, & Kaʻohe!

No comments:

Post a Comment