Friday, July 19, 2019

Shangri La Museum of Islamic Art, Culture & Design

Today's main activity was a guided tour of the Shangri La Museum of Islamic Art, Culture, & Design. Kai has been wanting to make a visit here but we either could not get a ticket for a time we had available or it was either under renovation so the whole museum would not be visible or closed for annual maintenance. It was magnificent! And well worth the wait. I am sure we will be visiting it multiple times in the years to come; there was too much to take in and enjoy on just one visit.
Close-up of tile work in previous photo.
Courtyard looks out towards Le'ahi.
The living room.
This entire living room glass wall retracts in to the floor.
Looking out the dining room towards the ocean.
The dining room is made to evoke the feeling of being in a large tent.
The lana'i off the dining room also offers a view of local swimming areas.
This was the first portion of the building that Dori Duke had constructed.

We made a quick stop at Book Off on the way back to the house. Kai bought a bunch more books from the sci-fi section. I just got one comic book, Chew. Not sure if this counts as Popular Culture; perhaps it is more Popular Sub-culture.



Kai packed up his books; then we put his suitcase, carry-on, and backpack in the car and headed to dinner at Big City Diner with Curtis, Lori, and The Roommates for my birthday celebration. Curtis & Lori had the Hamburger Steak, Kai had the Paniolo Burger with Cajun Fries, the Potential Most Favorite Roommate had the Blackened Ahi Salad, the Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes had the Mamasan's Vegetable Stir Fry with brown rice, and I had the Pulehu NY Steak with Grilled Onions & Mushrooms & a skewer of Garlic Shrimp. Kai & I also had a Li Hing Lemonade. We finished off the evening with birthday cake & cupcakes and the treats from Pipeline Bakeshop & Creamery. Our waitress Brinna brought me a complimentary Not So Big Single Scoop Sundae.
Hamburger Steak with Garlic Mashed Potatoes. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Paniolo Burger with Cajun Fries. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Blackened Ahi Salad. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)
Pulehu Steak with skewer of Garlic Shrimp. (Photo by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes)

Kai left on the 10 pm Delta flight. He will get in about 7 tomorrow morning; he's taking this flight so that he could do both Shangri La today and tomorrow's SkyFair fly-in at the Historic Flight Museum.

I did all of my morning walk today and I did it just a minute slower than I usually do it. I am also feeling better; less coughing, less sore ribs, and no more sore throat. During my walk I saw Romeo & Karpo, I passed Mary & Noe twice, and also saw Calvin the Recycler going up to the top of the park. Just before my walk ended I saw Lori & her Dog Pack. While I was doing my cool down stretches I saw Ona & Rio and Ken with the early-rising dogs.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Wai'alae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Here's a better look at the new frond on the hapu'u. I also noticed that there's another frond forming at the growing tip.


I also saw another victim of the breeding season.
Flattened 'Ehako (Spotted Dove).

Hau'oli la Hanau also to Susie, Leanna, & Seyda!

No comments:

Post a Comment