Thursday, July 18, 2019

Posts Will Be Slow

Kai backed up my computer last night so I could give it to Apple to fix today. Since I was unable to back it up using the external hard drive, he did it manually last night. More correctly, he started the back up yesterday evening, it was still going this morning when I got up to go walking, it was done after I returned from my walk; so perhaps 16 or 18 hours.  I normally back up my laptop every 10 days; but with the problem it has been having I have been unable to do so; hence the manual back up. So now I will have to use my old laptop, which is much slower. Posts may be shorter with less photos due to it. Or may be not. The MacBook Pro should be back on or before the 29th.

I walked this morning. I did the whole walk! So I'm feeling better, but it was about 4 minutes longer than normal. Driving in I saw Wendy walking Mickey & Bella. During my walk I saw Mary & Noe twice and Cody & Rollie & their human by the park. While I was cooling down Ona & Rio walked by. As I was leaving I saw Caroline & Olive just finishing their walk; later I saw LaVie walking up Wilhelmina Rise.
Nineteen minutes before sunrise on Wai'alae.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Ten minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

The hapu'u is doing well, although more of the leaflets on the one frond are now starting to turn brown; this is the frond that made me add the 2nd mister during the really hot weather. Adding it has helped the new frond that emerged during the record setting temperatures. There is another frond that is emerging; it is the same height as the other fronds but has not yet unfurled. I will have to stop by and trim the old brown leaflets off.
The newest frond is the one just right of the center front of the hapu'u.

We started out the day by Kai getting a haircut from The Potential Most Favorite Roommate. He also had his beard trimmed. Not sure why, but I didn't get any photos of that production. Probably because I was busy working on the old laptop with the new post. I forgot how much slower the old laptop is.

We went to the Apple store to drop off the MacBook Pro. While I have been using it since August 5, 2018; I actually bought it on July 17, 2018. or almost exactly 1 year before I sent it in to be repaired.

Then we went to find breakfast at the Kahala Mall Food Court. Or more correctly, brunch. Kai went to Il Gelato, he was lured there by the promise of crepes; he got a Belgian waffle topped with 2 fried eggs and strips of bacon. I don't remember what it was called. He also got a shake. I went to Grylt and got the Angus Beef Plate with Garden Veggies; I also opted for mash cauliflower as my "starch" choice. I liked my brunch; Kai said his waffle left much to be desired however the shake was good. He decided he will only get gelato-related items from Il Gelato.
Kai waiting for his brunch waffle.
Some of the available gelato flavors.
The bland waffle.
A couple of the protein choices at Grylt; the far left is the Garden Veggies.
The front pan contains the "mashed" cauliflower.
My brunch, I would buy this again.

Yesterday we decided we needed to get Kai the T- rex t-shirt from The Refinery; we had only seen it in kid sizes so we asked about adult sizes. Jeff said they were surprised by how many adult shirts they sell, many more than the kid sizes. He also told us they might be in today so we stopped by, they weren't. I gave him my name & number, he will call when they are in. I should have taken a photo of the kid t-shirt but didn't; you'll have to wait until we actually buy one.

We also went back to Minamoto Kichoan; we decided to get a couple treats for Dad & Mrs. Iseri. Kai went to visit with them today. Uncle Curtis took him up in the afternoon; I picked him up about an hour later; my throat is still scratchy & I still cough occasionally so I didn't want to expose anyone with a weak immune system to whatever it is that I have. He had a great visit; Mrs. Iseri gave him 4 boxes of Pocky Sticks. She had been asking Curtis when she would see him; I'm glad Kai enjoys visiting with her.

We did not go back to Verizon and get new phone. Kai talked with his buddy who works in telecommunications last night. His buddy said the Snapdragon 855+ chip set is coming out in about 6 months and has the potential to significantly change phone capabilities. What will happen is that either Kai will need to have the new capabilities or the S10 series will drop dramatically in price or both. So we will wait until Snapdragon 855+ comes out and make our decision after looking at what happens.

Nearly  every trip here, Kai makes a stop at Hawaiian Graphics. We did that today. He picked up a few more drawing items and some for working clay; a couple years ago he picked up a block of modeling clay.

The other trip Kai likes to make is to Don Quijote, specifically to their used book concession called Book Off. This time we bought almost the same amount of books; his share was $134.03 (56%), mine was $106.28 (44%). I found the first 6 books of a 12-part series about Kamehameha the Great, that was researched, written, illustrated, and published by Kamehameha Schools. I now need to find the last half of the series.

Since Kai leaves tomorrow night we took him out to dinner tonight; we invited Calvin to go along with us. We went to Himalayan Kitchen; we have been there 2 other times. We tried 3 new dishes tonight: Bhaktapura Bhuna with lamb, a fried bread called Bhatura, and Eggplant Korma. As usual all the food was good; I had to remind everyone to save space for dessert at Pipeline Bakeshop & Creamery.
Himalayan Platter.
Himalayan Bread Basket with a Bhatura on top.
Butter Chicken.
Lamb Madras.
Eggplant Korma.
Bhaktapura Bhuna.
Mango Lassi.

We arrived at Pipeline just before the closing rush. We had Cherry Up (new flavor), Ube Ube (new flavor), Chocolate Money, Avery's Chocolate Avalanche, and a Malamode filled with Haupia Heaven. I also bought a Chocolate Hazelnut cake bomb and got a Matcha Green Tea cake bomb for free for my birthday; I also bought their last Ube Haupia Mac Nut Bar and their last Lilikoi Cream Cheese Bar. (It was about 30 minutes before they closed.) These last 4 are for dinner at Curtis' house tomorrow night.
Cherry Up in a waffle cone.
Ube Ube.
Chocolate Money.
Kai eating a Malamode filled with Haupia Heaven.
L to R & top to bottom: Ube Haupia Mac Nut Bar, Lilikoi Cream Cheese Bar, Matcha Green Tea cake bomb, & Chocolate Hazelnut cake bomb.

It looks like Calvin's 1-year study abroad in Spain is taking shape. He leaves in about 6 weeks. He will be studying music & biology, while learning Spanish. Yay, Calvin!

Hau'oli la Hanau to Aunty Michi, Rachelle, and Janae!

No comments:

Post a Comment