Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Petrel & Shearwater Uber

As I was on my way to drop off the rental car yesterday, Heidi from Hawai'i Wildlife Center called. They were wondering if I could transport a Bulwer's Petrel from Feather & Fur to Hawaiian Air Cargo for a trip to their facility for rehabilitation. Since I was still nursing-home-sick I said, "Sure!" I skipped my walk since I was too sore & tired to get out of bed. I traded the carriers I had brought back for 2 others with birds in them! Besides the petrel, they also had a Wedge-tailed Shearwater that needed a ride. Here's photo of the Bulwer's Petrel; the shearwater cage had very tiny holes so a photo was not possible.


On my was back from the airport, I did a couple of errands. Top on the list was returning the useless irrigation kit; which Lowe's did without question. I decided not to pick up the replacement today since I don't know when I am going back and Lowe's has a 90-day return policy; if there is a problem with the next kit I want to be able to return it also. I did check out what Lowe's had for towel racks and think I have found one close to the same style as the towel bar on the shower door; now I have to see if the Lowe's in Kona has the same style. If so, I will pick it up there instead of trying to stow 3 of them in my suitcase. I also saw several different styles of toilet paper holders.





I also stopped at Hawaiian Pie Co. since it was nearby. I picked up a Mango Pie to share with The Roommates since I haven't introduced them to pies from the Hawaiian Pie Co. yet. I'll wait until the night Kai leaves so that he can try it also but there will still be some left for DT when he returns a couple days later. They threw in a Pineapple Whip tart also.

I set up the sprayer for the hāpuʻu; I also put up some weed cloth to act as a sunshade. It probably won't last as long as real shade cloth but it should last long enough for the hāpuʻu to get acclimated. Hopefully.


I took Kai and The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes out for dinner at Big City Diner. Actually, Kai & I ate dinner; The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes had dessert. Kai had a burger, The Roommate had the Oreo Ala Mode, and I had the Kalbi dinner.



S'mores has decided Kai is a new chew toy that we have acquired for her! She has been leaving her mark on his ankles and wrists (when he hangs them over the side of the bed or couch).


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Dottie & cousin Leilani!

No comments:

Post a Comment