Thursday, July 4, 2019

Happy Independence Day!

Curtis & Lori hosted the neighborhood 4th of July potluck this evening. Besides our household, they were joined by 2 other neighbors; the 4 kids between them are just a couple years apart in age. We had ribs, chuck roast, spinach rolls, Oreo cookie crust dessert, jello, potato salad, green salad, fresh fruit salad, Bubbies mochi ice cream, watermelon, fresh corn, malasadas, and birthday cake bomb.
The dinner table.
The dessert table.

DT, Calvin, & I picked up Lori's chair that she bought at INspiration Interiors; they were going to make a special trip in to town to pick it up. I volunteered to deliver it since we were going that way anyway. The chair fit neatly in to the back of the RAV4 without us having to fold down any seats. While we were waiting for the chair we discovered that INspiration has a small cafe on the main floor and a restaurant area on the 2nd floor.


After dinner I dropped Calvin off at Aloha Tower to do a night survey of Manu-o-Kū; he is checking to see if the adults come back to the nest to brood the chick. It took me 30 minutes to get from Curtis' house to Aloha Tower and 45 minutes to get from Aloha Tower to home! Aue! I got stuck in the traffic jam of people leaving Ala Moana Beach Park after the fireworks show.
Nearly deserted Ala Moana Beach Park.
Post-fireworks traffic jam.

My morning walk was pleasant and only slightly muggy; I think the air temperature must have been a little cooler than yesterday. I didn't see any regulars while walking except the 2 Pug Lady; she was on her way to play tennis at the park. We had not seen each other in a while & she made a note of that. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken & the early-rising dogs as well as the White Cockatoo. One of the ways I notice that the cockatoo is around is listening for the other birds; this morning the Rose-ringed Parakeets were upset about something. They were mobbing the White Cockatoo.
Twenty-three minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Four minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad & Mr. Pires were both in their beds having breakfast when I arrived today. Dad ate all his fried egg sandwich and papaya; he saved his apple banana for later. He drank 120 ml apple juice and 30 ml water. During breakfast Mr. Pires was telling me how his daughter picked him up & they drove to New York City last night.

After breakfast Dad felt like getting out of bed so we went upstairs for a short visit to see if we could get a better look at the flowers he can see from his bed. But Maunalani's 4th of July Celebration preparations on the Castle Lana'i blocked Dad's wheelchair access; we'll have to try some other time. I was able to get past the table though to take some close-up photos. Now I am 100% sure that it is a Crepe Myrtle. ("Crepe" like in crepe paper because the petals resemble that texture.)
This is as close as Dad could get.
Close-up of the flowers.
Looking down at Dad's window.

Once again I skipped the mid-morning walk so I could be present for Dad's vancomycin treatment. I will be skipping it while he is needing intravenous antibiotics to be administered to try to prevent him from dislodging the needle. He tried to scratch it again today and I think he dislodged it because the surface of his arm became cold when they were flushing the line after the infusion was done. They will be calling for an IV nurse to reinsert one on the other arm later this evening for the next dose.

Lunch today was Hamburger on bun, Italian vegetable blend, Fresh watermelon cubes, Cream of broccoli soup, and Red, white, & blue layered jello. There were no Italian vegetables on my plate, the cream of broccoli was not creamy, and my jello decided to illustrate what happens at a fault line! Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich, all of the watermelon cubes, and 2 jello desserts. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water.


I also skipped the afternoon walk, I had more important things to do; I picked up a dozen malasadas from Pipeline Bakeshop & Creamery! I got 3 each of their Classic, Cocoa, Coffee, and Li Hing- coated malasadas; they were enjoyed by all. My plan is to take some of their regular offerings to potlucks at some time or another so we can sample what they have. I think I will also make a stop while Kai is visiting later in the month. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Becky!

No comments:

Post a Comment