Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Waioli Kitchen & Bakeshop

Curtis had texted me while I was doing my cool down stretches; when we talked yesterday he had forgotten that today was Tuesday. I just thought he needed the extra time to get ready for his trip next week. We went to Waioli Kitchen & Bakeshop; the former Waioli Teahouse which opened in 1922. It was the first time either of us had been there. The setting was very tranquil, except for the squawking of the Rose-ringed Parakeets. And the occasional ripe Mountain Apple falling off the tree, hitting the eaves, & exploding into fragments! Curtis initially thought it was a strange tree with exploding fruit! I also liked that they labelled their plants.
Entering the parking lot.

Place your order at the register on the right, near the baked goods.
Hanging Lobster Claws (Heliconia rostrata).
Carolina Anole (Anolis carolinensis).

Curtis had the Açai Bowl and I had the Waioli Egg Breakfast Plate. My breakfast came with a very good multigrain bread baked by the restaurant. I would order this breakfast again! Curtis decided that he would also order my breakfast next time.
Açai Bowl. (Photo by Curtis)
Waioli Egg Breakfast Plate.

The subtext for Waioli Kitchen is "Food on a Mission Since 1922". Their website says, "We add a 3% training surcharge to our checks. This small fee helps offset some of our costs associated with the vocational training investment we are making in our team as we provide them with work skills as part of their substance abuse disorder recovery. We appreciate your understanding and support of our staff. The fee is voluntary and upon request, we will gladly remove it from your check." They also make their own sea salt and raise their own bees for honey; if they have excess you can also buy some. I like supporting businesses like this!

I saw less people on my morning walk than yesterday. In fact, Calvin the Recycler was the only one I saw until I was almost done with my walk when I ran in to Wendy, Bella, & Mickey. Then I saw Carolyn & Olive as they were getting ready to start their walk; Ken and the early-rising dogs were also just starting their walk. Just before I got to the driveway, Ona & Rio came walking by, she was squeezing in a walk before her cataract surgery this morning. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken going by with the late-rising dog and a guy who jogged by 3 times! I also saw the White Cockatoo fly by.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
I want to paint this sky!
Ten minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I did a short version for my mid-morning walk; it was hotter than yesterday because the high overcast has broken up into clouds. I just did one lap around Maunalani Circle. I was really full from breakfast but felt like I needed to get the walk in since I would not be able to do the afternoon walk. During my cool down stretches I saw a White-tailed Tropicbird flying by.


During breakfast Dr. Azuma's receptionist Jocelyn called; she had a cancellation and could get Dad in at 2 pm. I told her I would try to get transportation rearranged for him but if I didn't call back in 1 hour to leave it at 4 pm. I called Chad, but he didn't start until 10. When I got in after my mid-morning walk I ran in to Chad; he convinced me to see if we could change it because if Dad was being transported after 6 pm there was an extra charge. I called Jocelyn, the 2 pm was still available. Chad called Mike's Transport, they could do the 2 pm transport & come back when we were done to take us back. It all worked out!

I skipped lunch since I was still full from breakfast. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and banana pudding. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water. My lunch would have been a Cheeseburger on bun, Hawaiian coleslaw, Banana pudding, and Seafood chowder.

I'm glad I have been doing things to stay in shape; especially upper body exercises. We had to use a different transport service today, the driver did not stay to help move Dad from the wheelchair to the dental chair. I had to do it. It's a good thing I have strong legs and have been doing sissy push-ups to keep my biceps toned. And I'm glad I have added the exercises to tone my deltoids and triceps. They all came in handy today!
The journey begins.
The view going down Wilhelmina Rise.

Dad did very well with the teeth cleaning. Hygienist Michelle was able to clean all 7 of his teeth without him complaining much. Dr. Azuma looked over Dad's remaining teeth; he said since there is no sign of infection we should leave things as they are and just treat if problems arise. We have another cleaning appointment for him in 4 months; in the meanwhile Dr. Azuma asked that the CNAs do the teeth brushing so they are being cleaned better. While we were waiting Dad enjoyed watching the fish in the lobby.
Kala (top) and Blue Tang finishing off the lettuce.

On the way down I got a better look at the road work that is being done on Sierra Drive. Its a good thing we left with some extra time; we had to wait at one point where it was only wide enough for one lane of traffic. When its finished it will be very nice!



They still haven't moved Mr. Pires; not sure what's up with that. I also think it's interesting that they are letting him out of the room if he is infectious.

I went to return the youth sized T. rex t-shirts; I now have a store credit for when the real adult sizes  come in. To capitalize on having to go in to return the shirts, I got dinner at Grylt again. And forgot to take photos again; guess I'll have to sacrifice my salad and have dinner again there one of these nights! (To be fair to Jeff at The Refinery, he told me I could have waited until he got the adult sizes in and brought the youth sizes back at that time and he would have exchanged them for me.)

Hereʻs the punch line to the birthday card that Misty sent me.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Nga & Jacob! It is also the 1 year anniversary of my current Galaxy S5 phone; the original one had a problem so this is the replacement phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment